Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hot tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hot tranny fluid?

What are the symptoms of hot tranny fluid? What is the tow rating for a 2001 Sport? Do you need a towing package to tow this amount?

Yesterday I put 2300# of gravel on a 800# trailer and towed it 10 miles of gravel road to home. I backed it into my shed (in 4WD HI) to unload and was probably sinking in 3 inches in the wet gravel. I pulled forward 3 times to unload and the last time the Jeep didn't want to go forward until I put it into low gear. The engine temp gauge was a little over 220.

After unloading completely (it was sitting probably 15 minutes the last time) the Jeep functioned normally when pulling forward in 4WD Hi.

Is this a symptom of hot tranny fluid? If not, what?
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Year: '93
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)

If you're towing that much on a regular basis, I'd recommend getting a tranny cooler if you don't already have one, either aftermarket or factory. That sounds like quite a load for a Jeep like ours. It could be okay for it, but just to me, it seems like a lot. A Trans. Temp gauge would also be a good idea! It's great to know how hot the fluid's really getting!
Old 03-17-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I think that your year is rated at 2,000 pounds. That is 2,000 pounds gross weight (trailer weight plus weight of cargo). You definitely need an aftermarket transmission cooler to keep from burning your transmission up. After towing that much, you should check your transmission fluid to make sure that it isn't burnt. If it is, you need to change it.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 Liter

I've seen and heard of people towing that much but I wouldn't recommend it. A tranny cooler is a good idea because it'll allow your transmission to run cooler, thus increasing lifespan. Also assuming you mean 4HI Part Time, its not supposed to be used on solid surfaces because it can cause binding. Our XJ's are definitely not towing rigs by any means, so when you do tow something, be easy on it.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I would be more worried about the brakes, pulling 3100 lbs behind a Cherokee sounds like suicide, that's why they make 1 ton pick ups.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:53 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
I've seen and heard of people towing that much but I wouldn't recommend it. A tranny cooler is a good idea because it'll allow your transmission to run cooler, thus increasing lifespan. Also assuming you mean 4HI Part Time, its not supposed to be used on solid surfaces because it can cause binding. Our XJ's are definitely not towing rigs by any means, so when you do tow something, be easy on it.
Ive pulled a tahoe about 4 miles and my jeep didnt mind it too much. Keep it in 2nd and stayed slow. Sucked down a good amouny of fuel and my junk doesnt have swaybars lol
Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

When is the last time you change transmission fluid?? I'd take this as an opportunity to do a drain/refill on the transmission fluid...it is fairly cheap and easy. If you do this kind of hauling on a regular basic, you definitely ought to get a transmission cooler, and probably a temp. gauge.

And if its been a while...change the transfer case and differential fluids, too. Factory Service Manual recommends changing every 30K miles...