Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

View norco kid's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Driving without front driveshaft?

I damaged my transmission crossmember and my truck is vibrating quite a bit now. I was told it's likely the driveshaft angles, and while I wait for a replacement crossmember, I would like to remove the front driveshaft to see if the truck is drivable in RWD only. Is there anything to it or do I just disconnect the joints and that's it. Without the front shaft what should the transfer case be in? 2wd, 4wd part time?
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View DFlintstone's Photo Album My Photos
90,84 Cherokee

Yea, you can pull it. Not a problem. I don't know if angle is your problem though. Was me I'd be curious if whatever bent my cross member didn't to something to make my rear drive line "untrue".

87-90 Renix jeep owners. This is a link to great info! http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f23/tes...itings-136452/
The book's wrong! #1 is at 5:00, viewed from the side. 153624 clockwise.
I RECOMMEND 280 155 746 INJECTORS, FOR YOUR 87-90 JEEP. 4 holes are better than one, and they won't leak out the middle,(like stock injectors can)
"The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right." Mark Twain

Last edited by DFlintstone; 02-01-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Spelling...though
DFlintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View That Jeep Guy XJMJ's Photo Album My Photos
1987 MJ, 1986 MJ, 1987 4cyl MJ

you are fine to remove it and drive as you please. Obviously without a front d-shaft installed there will be no 4wd... so yes you can shift it into 4wd it won't really hurt anything but your only gonna have 2wd... (duh)

1987 jeep comanche-10" lift long arms
~http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-...doing-d-19146/

1986 jeep comanche- bone stock 2wd to 4wd H.O
~http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/198...e-path-167502/

1987 Jeep comanche- 4cyl cheap dd fixer upper
~http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/198...-2-4x4-181856/
That Jeep Guy XJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

View norco kid's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

What is the difference between 4wd full time and 4wd part time? I was under the impression that there was a center diff and that part time locked it where as full time left it unlocked, hence driving in full time without a front shaft would wreck something in there. Anyways as long as it's left in 2wd it should be fine right? What about the output shafts? Are they held in somehow or can they pop out without the shaft and loose all the diff/tc fluid?
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #5

View JD Cravin's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

The front one is held in by the yoke
JD Cravin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

View juice12292's Photo Album My Photos
1988 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by norco kid View Post
What is the difference between 4wd full time and 4wd part time? I was under the impression that there was a center diff and that part time locked it where as full time left it unlocked, hence driving in full time without a front shaft would wreck something in there. Anyways as long as it's left in 2wd it should be fine right? What about the output shafts? Are they held in somehow or can they pop out without the shaft and loose all the diff/tc fluid?
2wd only engages the rear driveshaft leaving the front diff and front driveshaft allowed to freewheel. PT 4wd engages the front axle, and FT 4wd both axles are engaged but the transfercase just changes the gear ratio. there is not "center diff" just front diff, rear diff, and transfercase. and no, the driveshaft doesnt hold the yokes in place, as mentioned earlier removing the front driveshaft just doesnt allow you to have 4wd part or fulltime. hope that answer your question.
juice12292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #7

View shadowman's Photo Album My Photos

You might want to go ahead and replace the transfer case mount when you replace the crossmember. If you hit it hard enough to bend it, I would be willing to bet you broke the mount. They are about $11 from Rock Auto. Anyway, as the others stated, you will be fine without a front driveshaft in 2H.
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech