Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dome Lights Staying On

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default Dome Lights Staying On

For some reason just yesterday I noticed that my dome lights were staying on. I popped the bulbs out for now, but I'm wondering what it could be. I put some new door switches in over the winter that seemed to work great. My headlight switch seems a little funky. Sometimes when I shut the jeep off before I turn off the headlights, they wont switch off until I put the ignition back to on and then turn them back on and off. Anyone have an issue like this?

Thanks as always.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theangler
For some reason just yesterday I noticed that my dome lights were staying on. I popped the bulbs out for now, but I'm wondering what it could be. I put some new door switches in over the winter that seemed to work great. My headlight switch seems a little funky. Sometimes when I shut the jeep off before I turn off the headlights, they wont switch off until I put the ignition back to on and then turn them back on and off. Anyone have an issue like this?

Thanks as always.
Your XJ likely has the "headlamp delay module"... is it a high trim-level (like a Limited)?
Old 04-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Hmm I dont think it does I've killed the battery by leaving the lights on. It is an 89 pioneer though.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

May be time for a new headlight switch. The one you pull to turn on your lights then twist to turn on your domes. I am betting that it has a short and is allowing your domes to stay on all the time. Best bet is to pull the fuse till you get it sorted.

It could also be your door switches sine they come on when you open the door and shut off when you close it. It may not be getting very good contact and staying on even though the dorr is closed.

I would start at checking both of those spots first.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by theangler
Hmm I dont think it does I've killed the battery by leaving the lights on. It is an 89 pioneer though.
You leaving the switch "on" has nothing to do with the delay module.

The delay module can fail and leave you with either "no lights" or "on-all-the-time lights".
Old 04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by solderjunkie
You leaving the switch "on" has nothing to do with the delay module.

The delay module can fail and leave you with either "no lights" or "on-all-the-time lights".
He said that if he shuts of fthe lights AFTER he turns the vehicle of that they stay on. He didnt say that he left the lights on.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll pick up a new switch from the JY next week when I go to pick up the other odds and ends. I'll let you guys know if it solves it or not.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Metmknice
He said that if he shuts of fthe lights AFTER he turns the vehicle of that they stay on. He didnt say that he left the lights on.
Read it again.

He wrote that HE has killed the battery by leaving the lights on, so he suspects it doesn't have a headlamp delay module.

The headlamp delay leaves the lights on for a minute after you shut down so you can (presumably) get to your front door in the dark. It has nothing to do with automatically shutting the lights off to save your battery.

I wondered if he had the delay... the delay would mean that the lights staying on for a minute might be normal.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by solderjunkie
Read it again.

He wrote that HE has killed the battery by leaving the lights on, so he suspects it doesn't have a headlamp delay module.

The headlamp delay leaves the lights on for a minute after you shut down so you can (presumably) get to your front door in the dark. It has nothing to do with automatically shutting the lights off to save your battery.

I wondered if he had the delay... the delay would mean that the lights staying on for a minute might be normal.
I have that delay and if I remember correctly it only leaves the head lights on, not the dome light.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by jinx
I have that delay and if I remember correctly it only leaves the head lights on, not the dome light.
I was starting with the important problem.

Dome lamps are negotiable... you really need headlights and a not-dead battery first.

He pulled the dome fuse and temporarily solved the dome lamp issue.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

I had a problem with my domes as well. When I bought it I found out they had pulled the bulbs, so I put new ones in and they wouldn't turn off. So, after checking everything I found that the door switch wasn't pushed in far enough when the door was shut on the passenger side. Pulled it out, fixed it by not pushing it in so far and it has worked great since then.
The following users liked this post:
Flagdad (12-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

"theangler" did you fix the problem? I am curious because I am having a similar issue.

My issue is the interior lights are staying on not just dome. So any light that would normally turn on if you were to open to doors, domes + foot lights (front only) are staying on (never shut off). Strange thing is that it’s not consistent. It doesn’t happen in winter/spring. When the weather gets warm it seems to trigger it. I also noticed in the winter, when I went I hit a pot hole in the road, or go across a railroad crossing the interior lights would turn on only for an instant. I am thinking it’s a door switch or the hatch switch for the back. Are these switches fairly easy to replace?

Mine is a 99 Cherokee Sport (4.0L).
Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 PM

My solution (cause its not my daily driver) is to pull the interior light fuse under the hood. What sucks is that it takes out the instrument panel sensors I have no speedometer, oil pressue, etc. Though the backlight works.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by xman
My solution (cause its not my daily driver) is to pull the interior light fuse under the hood. What sucks is that it takes out the instrument panel sensors I have no speedometer, oil pressue, etc. Though the backlight works.
I think I would rather pull the bulbs for the dome lights instead of wondering if I had any oil pressure or not.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
I think I would rather pull the bulbs for the dome lights instead of wondering if I had any oil pressure or not.
True, but I only pull the fuse if I am leaving it for an extended period of time. Put it back in when I am planning on going somewhere. But if I forget to put the fuse back in ... sigh ... yea its a pain.

Quick Reply: Dome Lights Staying On