Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad U-joints rattled steering column loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Bad U-joints rattled steering column loose

I have a 91 Cherokee Laredo and the Previous Owner let the drive shaft u-joints go bad and drove it around for a long time like that. The Jeep has had a loose steering column since I bought it. There is a considerable amount of play in the column. Im wondering if there is a fix for this? Already installed new DS U-joints. I don't really want to install a new column if I don't have to, but I can if really needed.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Not sure what you mean by play in the steering column. Do you mean that you have free play/ dead spot in the steering wheel before the wheels start to turn? If so, it probably had nothing to do with the U joints, and isn't a problem with the steering column but other components.

There are two most likely causes of this. First is is a worn steering gear box. This is a really common problem. It is possible to adjust the gear box, but if you try to adjust it and you still have play in the steering wheel then the box will need to be replaced. Do a search and there is lots of directions on how to adjust the steering gear. The other possibility is a worn out tie rod end (TRE) that connects the steering to the wheels. If your tie rod ends are worn out you will have sloppy steering. It is also a leading cause of death wobble.

Now, how to diagnose these two. Start the engine and get a friend to turn the steering wheel. First look at the pitman arm, does it turn when your friend turns the wheel? If not, then look where the steering shaft enters the gear box, if that is turning but the pitman arm is not, then the steering gear needs to be adjusted or replaced. If the pitman arm does turn correctly then look at each of the tie rod ends and see if there is play in them.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

is it a tilt wheel? is the joint loose? if so it is an easy fix for someone that has done them...your jeep uses a saginaw colomn same as GM , the bolts on the joint loosen up you gotta take apart the colomn and tighten them up (it's a pain in the ___ the first time you do it) if you know any MECHANICS have them do it
Old 11-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Seasoned Member

thanks for the replys guys. I should be clear when I say "play" I mean I can sit in the Jeep (not driving) and literally lift the steering wheel up and down and side to side. Yes it is a tilt column. Other than that, the Jeep steers great, no slack in the actual steering. alloutperform, when you say the joint bolts loosened up, would I describe it to, say a mechanic as: "The steering joints need to be tightened" ?

Last edited by bikerider; 11-14-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

I had the same problem on my 1991 XJ. Had my mechanic buddy pull the column and fix the joints in it that had come loose. No problem since.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i had the same problem. replaced the column in about half hour.
if your jeep is lifted, and you pull yourself in by grabbing the steering wheel, you will go through a few of them.
that's why i have a couple spares waiting to go into mine, cause grabbing the steering wheel is a hard habit to break.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by daurwid
Had my mechanic buddy pull the column and fix the joints in it that had come loose. No problem since.
That's what I like to hear.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by caged
if your jeep is lifted, and you pull yourself in by grabbing the steering wheel, you will go through a few of them.
Lucky me, this Jeep is all stock.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

It's not joints that need to be replaced in these tilt columns.. if a mechanic tells you this start walking.

The problem and it's common, is several bolts loosening and backing out of a plate within the tilt column. Requires some special tools to complete the repair.

I'v done this job a few times.. and hated it each time. It is easier and faster to replace the column as caged mentioned.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 i6

^^^^^ that's what i said but...tightening the bolts isn't that hard it's the same as any gm find someone with a lifted 80s chevy they'll know the routine