Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 11-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #1

View darkheart's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Question 96 cherokee clunk when turning left

Hi When I turn left I hear a clunk sound. I recently had the stearing damper replaced and this is when the clunk started. I took it to the dealer and thought it might be the front u joints, so I had them replaced. Still clunking. I'm worried this is a serious problem! Gomez is my white knight! Any ideas on how to save him? Please help! Thanks!
darkheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #2

View xjroller's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Cherokee
Send a message via ICQ to xjroller

so you replaced the front axle u joints? mine was making the same noise whether going left or right and that was my problem. replaced them and no more noise for me.
.(o)_)-__(o)_)--o-)_)__3" RC lift, 31" General Grabber AT2's, Diamond plate, Cragar D-windows, Airaid CAI, Dynomax Cat-back, Skyjacker SS, System loud enough to cover all the noises
xjroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #3

View Bigclubs's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

You went to the dealer and they did not check the front u-joints to see if this was causing the clunk?? I would think twice about taking the jeep back to them for more repairs. Your clunk may be the track bar. The bar is attached to the passenger side of the axle and extends to the drivers side and attaches under the air filter box. Usually the ball joint on the end goes bad and creates a clunk when turning the steering wheel right or left.
Have someone watch the bar and listen for the clunk while turning the wheels in the driveway. If the ball joint is bad you should hear the clunk when turning the wheel. The track bar runs @ 70.00 and should take about 1 hour to replace in the driveway.
Bigclubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #4

View darkheart's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

HI Thanks! The dealer did check the u joints and they replaced them. But they were not sure if it would fix the clunk. Would a bad ball joint clunk all the time? Because the clunk doesn't happen all the time. It happens when turning tightly more so then any other time.
darkheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #5

View cantab27's Photo Album My Photos
95 Cherokee

like bigclubs says get someone to turn steering wheel when parked up the drive... last clunk i had was these two bolts.. could see slight movement when turning steering wheel.. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #6

View beast96XJ's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default 96 XJ sport same clunk

I have the same problem i looked under and had the wife turn the wheel it was my track bar that was clunking and moving. My question is, if this is bad would it make the jeep wonder the road? side note i do need an alignment. just did a 3" lift and new tires, but it was doing it before the lift. Please Help
beast96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #7

View Jescocom's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkheart View Post
Hi When I turn left I hear a clunk sound. I recently had the stearing damper replaced and this is when the clunk started. I took it to the dealer and thought it might be the front u joints, so I had them replaced. Still clunking. I'm worried this is a serious problem! Gomez is my white knight! Any ideas on how to save him? Please help! Thanks!
Then don't turn left...unless ur a NASCAR driver! LOL
Jescocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #8

View gpXJ's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee
Send a message via MSN to gpXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast96XJ View Post
I have the same problem i looked under and had the wife turn the wheel it was my track bar that was clunking and moving. My question is, if this is bad would it make the jeep wonder the road? side note i do need an alignment. just did a 3" lift and new tires, but it was doing it before the lift. Please Help
Absolutely. The track bar keeps the axle under the Jeep and stable. If it is lose and the axle can move side to side, then you get wandering and possibly death wobble. Get this fixed soon, as losing your track bar while driving down the road would be
SOLD!! - 2000 Cherokee Limited, AW4, D30 front, 8.8 rear 4.88's and locked up, 4.5" of lift, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM's, 2x6 rockers, high clearance front inner fenders, home built front and rear bumper, lots of rock rash and dents

Bought!!! - 98 XJ Sport, bone stock for now....let the madness begin again!
gpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #9

Cherokee

Thanks yea I plan on doing it friday. I have a clunk when I turn to sharp is that the u joints?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #10

Cherokee

Fixed the track bar what a world of difference
Old 01-22-2011, 11:13 AM

submit to reddit