Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

91 xj hazard/brake light fuse location?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991 + 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 91 xj hazard/brake light fuse location?

Ok, I have no brake or hazard lights and I have no idea where the fuse is located. I have checked every fuse under the driverside and they are fine and all of the ones in the block under the hood are good. There was a hazard 15 mini under the hood it was good but it has been replaced anyway. I replaced the flashers in the fuse box. I traced the wires back to the tail lights and they are good. I replaced the bulbs the switch on the brake pedal itself.

I found a diagram of what the jeeps fuse box should look like and the one in mine is the same except where the HAZ/STOP fuse is #6 in this diagram http://jeep.zerok.ru/index.php?page=105. There is nothing in mine not even the metal plugs to plug in the fuse. Also every other fuse on my black is labeled right on the block like in the diagram and at that position there is nothing labeled and like I said no place to plug a fuse in just an empty slot. Here is a pic of my fuse box (not a very good one, but you can see the empty slot.

Please help me with this...the only thing I can think of it being is a fuse and I am going crazy looking for this. The wires that come from the light socket itself end up in that huge clump of wires above the fuse box and I am about to un-tape all of them and follow the wires to see where they lead me.

Last edited by parkze17; 05-21-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

I just checked mine and theres a 15amp fuse in that slot and yes its for stop and hazard. Yours is empty? like blank no prongs? thats weird. lemme see what else I can find out.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Another thing is there power going to the lights? I was just wondering if it could just be a ground problem. Do the parking lights work do the turn signals work?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

What about the brake light switch on the pedal?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 PM

Yes all other lights work, just no brake lights or hazard. There is power at the switch at the pedal which I replaced. And yes that slot is blank in my fuse box no prongs no nothing.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:42 PM

So I just remembered that the white wire coming from the brake switch had a broken black wire connected to it and when I got a used switch from a junk yard. It had a red wire connected to the same one so I wired a power to that same white wire and then my hazard lights came on. I thought I solved the problem but the 4 ways only work when the button is not pressed in (brakes are on), and the brake lights are stuck on no matter what way the button is.
Does anyone else have this wire that Y's off of the all whit wire from the switch? If so where is it wired to?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by parkze17
So I just remembered that the white wire coming from the brake switch had a broken black wire connected to it and when I got a used switch from a junk yard. It had a red wire connected to the same one so I wired a power to that same white wire and then my hazard lights came on. I thought I solved the problem but the 4 ways only work when the button is not pressed in (brakes are on), and the brake lights are stuck on no matter what way the button is.
Does anyone else have this wire that Y's off of the all whit wire from the switch? If so where is it wired to?
I just checked both of mine and there both the same. One red wire and one black wire. Does it look like somebody messed with the wiring? If so your gonna have to find out what they did and why and find out where the problem really is.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Yeah sort of...I assumed that someone just wired into it to run trailer lights or something. Then I remembered that the used switch had a wire into the same one and I wasn't sure what the deal was. It didn't look like it was wired that way in the beginning but connecting it to power is the only way I have had any brake or hazard lights at all. I am so confused. My 99 does not have this wire so I am assuming someone has messed with the wiring. There was a remote starter connected but I took it out because when I lost my brake lights I was trying to change the switch on the pedal and I bumped the box for the starter and my jeep started right up lol. I made sure that I disconnected everything right though it must have been professionally installed because it was done very cleanly.

Last edited by parkze17; 05-22-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

one more thing. I had a light issue before and it turned out to be the connection at the fire wall. Theres a 3/8 or 10mm bolt holding the plug to the back of the fuse box under the hood. Sometimes those connections get corroded. Take it apart carefully and clean it. and see what happens. Thats all I can come up with for now hope it solves your problem.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 PM

OK, more confusion... I decided to go to autozone's website to see if they had a pic of my brakelight switch on there. They have this listed for a 1991 xj: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...entId=cat30065

Mine looks absolutely nothing like this. So I went to ebay to see if one was on there with a pic. and I find these this one is for a 84 - 90: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...Q5fAccessories
This one is for a 92 - 96:http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeep-Cherokee-Br...3286.m63.l1177

Mine looks exactly like the 92 - 96 one but the white wire was Y'd off and the wire that was Y'd off was broken and taped. I also got a used switch out of a 91 xj in the junk yard and it had the same thing a wire Y'd off of the white one. Is it possible that being a 91 cherokee it has a different switch and could this be why there is no space ofr a hazard and brake light fuse in my fuse box? I am going to call the jeep garage and order a new switch on monday if I can't figure thit out by the end of the weekend.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

Do you have/need a wiring diagram?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 PM

I do in fact need a wiring diagram. I am going to look for a Haynes manual when I go to get the switch on monday. If anyone has one they can list on here I would appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

parkze17, I'm sending you a Private Message.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM

I have the same issue, please help!

I have bought the brake switch, the fuse is ok, the bulbs are ok.. I don't know what to do!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:42 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

i have this exact same problem and have done all the steps hes taken bulbs switch tracing wires and checking ground etc. nothing. my parking lights, reverse, and blinkers all work but no hazards or stop lights. ive been screwing with this problem for about a week now and havent had any luck. if anyone knows about this please help us out its really annoying.

Quick Reply: 91 xj hazard/brake light fuse location?