Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #1

View GRNSPORT's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Question 2000 Cherokee heater core replacement

Ok well, long story short my 2000 Cherokee with 66k needs a new heater core. Seems that some prior owner decided to use a bunch of bars leak in the coolant or something as it was full of crap and muddy colored, I had it flushed out and now the heat only blows luke warm. So i have called around and the price seems to be plus or minus a few bucks of $1000, has anybody on hear done it themselves ? I am not the most mechanically inclined person and i dont want my dash to squeek and rattle forever so im thinking about having this done buy a pro but i'm not at all excited about spending enough to buy a ARB bull bar, to make my heater work properly any advice ?
GRNSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
CF Veteran

View Abovetimberline's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee

Have you tried to flush it?I would pull the heater control valve out and make sure it is not plugged.
Make sure the heater control valve is opening.
I think you can make it work again without replacing it. If you need to replace it the only way to do it easly is to remove the dash,and that is why the shops want so much,and there is no assurance it will not squeek.
I have taken my dash out a few times for different reasons and it is pretty easy and only takes about an hour now.
Abovetimberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #3

View GRNSPORT's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

ok dumb question, how do i tell if the heater control vlave is working ? it will cyle thru all the differnt setting,s defrost, floor ect... if that matters also i'm a little ignorsant as to where and what the valve looks,like
GRNSPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #4

View robertj's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

There is no heater control valve on a 2000. I would flush that thing 3 or 4 times with the most hard core flush I could find before I decide to pull it. Heater cores are usually only pulled when they are leaking for a good reason. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Pic of a HCV:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/new-...s-again-29877/

Last edited by robertj; 12-10-2009 at 09:23 AM.
robertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #5

View 44Chad's Photo Album My Photos
1999 and 2000 Cherokee

I am having the same problem with a 2000 jeep with only 116K. Just bought the jeep, the day i test drove it the heater worked fine. Damn near roasted my butt out of the jeep. I turned it to the AC, then back. Everything worked fine. Next day I am getting luke warm air. No significant change in the temp, regardless of heater indication - either hot or cold. Is this a vacuum problem or do i need to flush the radiator?
44Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
CF Veteran

View 98 JeepJeep's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

i was told it can be removed without removing the dash....

98 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4 164K 7120 Head,63MM TB,00 XJ Intake Manifold,Header,19lb Explorer Injectors,RC 6.5 LA,35'S.
98 JeepJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:19 PM

submit to reddit