Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1988 Cherokee power locks/windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L inline/straight 6-cylinder
Smile 1988 Cherokee power locks/windows

I'm trying to address some of my 1988 Cherokee's carthritis symptoms, trying to determine what is causing my power windows and locks to sometimes work ok, but usually slow and/or get stuck.
Anyone have any suggestions/tips to repairing/refurbishing/or otherwise correcting these issues? If replacing parts, any suggested go-to sources for parts (I keep hearing no parts available for 88 Cherokee. That can't be true!)?

WINDOWS
* All my windows move slower than they used to, sometimes not so slow (usually if warmer weather, they speed up a bit).
* One window rolls down fine, but won't roll up if rolled down past about 90-95% open. At that point, attempting to close/raise the window (remember, it's electric windows) does a clicking sound with no window movement/closing, unless assisted by pulling up on the window by hand. Once it moves an inch, then motor/regulator takes over just fine - although the window still is usually slow-moving on it's way up.

* Trying to figure out how to remove regulator/motor. Am I to drill out rivets? If so, which ones? I'm new to rivets - just looked them up. Are these "pop rivets"? If drilling out rivets, do I re-rivet for reinstall? How so?
* When reinstalling regulator, how do you access (see/reach) inside the door to place and fasten properly?
* Any way to verify if the regulator is the issue, vs motor (do they get weaker?) vs sufficient electricity making it to the motor, or anything else?
* Would old rubber/plastic edges (weather stripping?) around windows be part of the problem? If so, how to remove, where to find replacements, how to replace?
* Is there a recommended way to clean and/or lube the regulator's worm gear/screw/drive and/or the window tracks?
* Any other way to repair/refurbish the system to correct functionality, instead of just buying new parts?
* If I do have to buy new parts for the power window, where at? I've tried O'Reilly, Ebay, Amazon, other Jeep parts stores I've seen online, but no luck finding window regulator and/or motor for 1988 Jeep Cherokee in stock (they show in their listing, but out of stock).

LOCKS
The power locks work so-so ok if controlled by the front passenger's door lock control, but rarely moves the locks when controlling from the driver's lock control. I usually have to rapidly lock-unlock-lock-unlock many times to get the doors' locks where I want, and often end up just walking to each door and manually pushing the lock rockers to lock up. The linkages and connections seem pretty clean and not restrictive (though I don't know how to know for sure). I wonder if the actuators might be weaker or if for some reason there is insufficient electricity making it to the actuators, or ????

Thanks much!
Ted
Old 08-04-2015, 07:23 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Lock fix:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....87&postcount=2
Old 08-05-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L inline/straight 6-cylinder

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Awesome - thanks cruiser54!
Now if just knew someone in San Diego that I could hire for this (as it's above my head for the limited time and brainspace I have these days)