Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Project Mirkwood - My $500 find"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Bugout4x4 & XJirish- My eldest is 21 and lives on his own and still always in my shop, my daughter is 19 and would keep me company and get tools but didn't get dirty (except driving her boyfriends tow truck at the fair), and my youngest only helps when asked but loves to see progress being made. So, they all do some work, but they all love Jeeping. None of them ever turned down riding in daddys jeep, even if it was just to get drinks at the store, lol.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Traded antennas with the parts Jeep
Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 PM

I got a visit from the boy and his buddy while I was in the shop. Seems his buddy went out and bought a lifted black Jeep that I had been previously eyeballing, but didn't want to pay the asking price for. I guess he talked the guy down by about 30%. I'm a little jealous right now, but I'm happy to be building mine. My sons buddy stopping by to show off his first Jeep. We welcomed him with open arms.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:07 PM

I decided to take the rear diff cover off to inspect it for the cause of my noises and found some very sloppy spider gears and side to side play in the right axle. I couldn't determine if the end of the axle was worn or the c-clip groove had play. It wasn't a lot but it sure did make a solid thump when moved in and out and hit the center carrier pin!
I pulled the carrier, pins, and side adjusters and removed the axles as well. The wheel bearings looked pretty good but I decided I'd replace them as well. I picked up a slide hammer from Napa to add to my tool collection.
Also picked up a bearing puller kit from Harbor Freight and am quite suprised with the quality. They seem pretty good for the price, and worked well to pull my wheel bearings.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM

While inspecting the parts Jeep's rear diff I found it had a track loc limited slip carrier in it. I gave my son a call and worked a deal for it.
It wasn't until later that I noticed the clutch packs were damaged in it.... oh well, something else to learn to rebuild, lol. Pack spring broken on the first side.
The other side pack spring was broken too
This is what happens when your cluch pack keeper breaks along with some of the alignment ears.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 PM

After soaking my clutch packs over night in Royal Purple (with friction modifier in it), I installed my clutch packs. That part was easy enough, but putting my the spider gears back in was pretty tough with all the new tension. I managed it and got my new carrier bearings on as well. The open diff carrier on the left and the trac-loc lsd on the right.
All ready to be put back in.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 PM

My new axles came in from Six States, although they seem to be differant colors. No big deal cause no one will see them, but I was a little surprised. I knocked out some wheel studs from the old axles and installed them into the new axles. Normally I would have bought new studs but I totally forgot to do so. One grey and one black
Old 01-05-2018, 08:52 PM

It took me a few tries, but I got everything installed and adjusted the best I could get it without adjusting the pinion. My diff rebuild guy at work said that it's good enough. During my test drive it was very quiet and smooth and I feel I did a pretty good job. I hope it holds up!!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 PM

I took a break from wrenching for a bit and went snow wheeling with the kid and his buddy. It was nice to get out and play some. My sons' xj on the left, his buddy's black one in the middle, and my YJ on the right.
Got myself high centered, lol. I built this for sand and woods, not snow. This is why im building a lifted Xj.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:39 PM

Ok, I was going to try to hold onto this little secret, but it's driving me crazy! I got a killer deal on black Friday on my lift, I had to buy it, I just had to, lol.
I bought the Iron Rock Off Road 6.5" critical long arm kit, plus upgrades, for about the same as the non-sale price. All tucked away in the back room out of sight (not out of mind), untill i can afford everything else to lift my Jeep.
Its so hard refraining from opening my boxes and looking at all these goodies
I hope this upgrade is worth it
The second upgrade.
I also upgraded to the adjustable long arms
Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

What a great transformation so far, can't wait to see the lift get put in.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Man your $500 money pit sure added up lol. Nice XJ your Sons friend bought too bad you didn't get it but look at it this way now your building yours to your spec instead of someone else's taste.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by CantDrive55
What a great transformation so far, can't wait to see the lift get put in.
Thank you, and I can't wait to see it lifted either!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Kevin Miller
I took a break from wrenching for a bit and went snow wheeling with the kid and his buddy. It was nice to get out and play some. My sons' xj on the left, his buddy's black one in the middle, and my YJ on the right.
Got myself high centered, lol. I built this for sand and woods, not snow. This is why im building a lifted Xj.

Where is this at? Looks like a lot of fun!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by XJIrish4x4
Man your $500 money pit sure added up lol. Nice XJ your Sons friend bought too bad you didn't get it but look at it this way now your building yours to your spec instead of someone else's taste.
I knew I was going to spend a ton on building my Jeep before I ever even bought it. This is going to be the build that I'm most proud of. I want to do everything as right as possible and to be how I want it. I expect that in the long run i'll probably be spending 6-8k on her.
I could have bought someone else's ride a lot cheaper but I plan on keeping this one and driving my grand kids around in it someday. I'll be 40 yrs old next year and this is my mid-life Harley Davidson.
I'm diabetic and get cold easy, so winters always very long. I want to be able to enjoy our winters for years to come.
I'm excited to see how she turns out and hope you guys enjoy the process with me!