Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Cherokee Rebirth

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1990 Cherokee Rebirth

In 1995 I moved to NC from VB, and quickly went native. It all started joining some friends on an annual WINTER trip to WV to got wheeling and camping in the mountains. First year I went, took Dad old full size 2wd Dodge PU truck. Well, I quickly learned, that wont do. In 1999 I purchased a second hand 1990 Cherokee 4x4 Laredo. I was hooked. It was dead stock, but performed well. In 2004 I relocated to Roxboro, NC for a new Job, bought a Dodge Dakota In 2009 I bought a new house, and took Jeep off the road with intentions to rebuild it with my son. It had a freeze plug leak, and it Sat for a couple years. A year later I pulled motor, had to bore it out 60 over, and rebuilt mostly stock. The built motor sat on engine stand till last month. I put it back in jeep, fired right up and that's where this build starts.

When I first got it

First trip to the Mountains

Lots of mud,

Fully loaded with 4 good size Dudes

Seems to like the mud

Pulled that log down the shore.

Redneck $15 Headliner

Perfect fit

Then I Bought house, and pulled motor..

Several years later...Motors in

She's Alive

Present day, suspension

New Everything

Adding 2 inch spacers, with my $12 bump stops

Let the fun begin.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:06 PM

Front Done

On to back
Old 11-18-2016, 06:42 PM

Well, Go the the new fender liners in from Rockauto 12 bucks a side, and bedlined flares and made hardware. Now Im trying to bring back to life wheels. I need to button up front to move on to back. New Springs, shackals, brakes and shocks ready to go in. I think I managed to save wheels

Before

After
Old 11-21-2016, 04:59 PM

New intake in

Had to tap out hole for oil breather and canister line

Clears hood.. just barley.

Front done. Flared bed lines, and inner fender liners in. Manged to save the wheels.. Now for 2nd battery and rear end.<br/>
Old 12-01-2016, 06:36 PM

Before moving to rear, went ahead and upgraded Electrics. Replaced Fusible links with fuse box, Then added second battery, replaced all main lines with #4 and #2 wire. Selector switch, and fuses. Even got Electric Antenna replaced. Front Suspension.. Done, Wiring.. done.. now to rear. New Springs, Shocks, and brakes.

Moved EGR solenoid and Fan relay. Installed stock battery tray in reverse on Driver Side.

Mounted Battery selector switch to firewall. Was going to put in Center console, but opted not.

Fused Alternator at 250, Battery's 500 each. Replaced Fusible links with real fuses.

#2 wire aint cheap..

500 Amp on each battery.. Winch says it needs 475. Should be good.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:09 PM

Today I tackled rear springs, I thing I grew two more ***** today. It wanst as bad as it could have been, but I was a major PITA. I watched and read all the how to's, and alot of people talked about red thread locker on bolts. There wasn't any of that, but the first three threads on each bolt had a notch cut in it. Created a barbed hook type grip. For those of you who have done this job.. hats off to ya, I feel like I have earned my wrench badge on this one. Any way, now Im going to power wash and paint before installing new shocks and brakes... btw anyone have a problem with rear shackle rubbing tail pipe? I have the dynomax exhaust. Time for a percocet and a cocktail

look how flat the 26 year old springs were.

I went with the Dorman 939 301 up county OEM replacement springs, and 2 inch shackles. With Extended shocks

I am sooooo glad that job is done
Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 241 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Looks great! I bought the same Jeep new in 1990 although mine was black with a red interior. Had it until 1996 ... and wish I still did. Good luck with your build!
Old 12-04-2016, 04:37 PM

Default Thanks..

Thanks, I appreciate that. Im still wondering what sadist at Jeep decided to notch the threads on those bolts. I mean it worked, they never came loose on the road, but they pretty much laughed at my impact gun.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:40 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5L MFI

How is the noise with the driver's side intake? I did basically the same thing and have a lot of noise now
Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 PM

Well, really haven't had it on the road, but the short drives I have taken I cant tell a difference. I think the inline filter helps with that.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:56 PM

Default Progress

Light bar Install 240000 lumens... Yes 240000, LIke having sun on roof. Rear suspension Done.. now for interior

Hit me with those purple retina burners one more time

Made a light bar out of 1.4 steel and some old spring bushings cut in half.

Shop Dog approves

New Spring, shocks, and brakes, then undercoating. went with Crown 901's and 2 inch shackles.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Cool build man, where did you get those fuse blocks from?
Old 12-26-2016, 09:30 AM

Amazon, just search for ANL fuse holders, all kinds. I got l like 3 for 12 or 13 bucks. The fuses are cheap too from Amazon. Get a dozen for 12 bucks, VS $5 each at store.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-26-2016, 06:26 PM

Wifey recovered overhead console.. Matched Factory interior perfect. Fender Flares, and Console... yup She's a keeper
Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Default Driver side Cowl Intake

Had a good rain today, and even though I havent had Jeep on road yet, I got a little paranoid about water being driver side cowl is open. So, I made a screen for hole in cowl, and covered opening directly over intake. Anyone else who has done driver side cowl intake, I wold love some words of wisdom as to weather you have a problem

with water.
The black and large red pieces are just holding it until rtv dries. The red ring has a screen in it.

Cut up and old Tupperware lid, and silicone to underside of cowl vent over intake opening.