Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '92
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default LED headlights

Any of you guys running these type of headlights? I'm a big fan of LED's and would like to upgrade the OEM's without doing expensive HID's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-7x6-LED-B...laP3wc&vxp=mtr

If so, how did you mount them? The lights look good, but looks like you would have to jerry-rig some sort of mounting system.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by commanderjjones
Any of you guys running these type of headlights? I'm a big fan of LED's and would like to upgrade the OEM's without doing expensive HID's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-7x6-LED-B...laP3wc&vxp=mtr

If so, how did you mount them? The lights look good, but looks like you would have to jerry-rig some sort of mounting system.
hard pass... cheap eBay and Amazon led headlights aren't good. They burn out quick, most let moisture in, numerous reports of them flicjering and not working correctly, and they don't have a good cutoff so they blind other drivers, even if you try add aim them... if you live in an area that gets snow, led lights don't create enough heat to melt the snow..... if you really want some, led headlights are one of those items that it's best to just pay and cry once..jw and trucklite are the good ones. There is another brand, but can't think of it offhand
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Martlor13
hard pass... cheap eBay and Amazon led headlights aren't good. They burn out quick, most let moisture in, numerous reports of them flicjering and not working correctly,.....
I've heard that a lot on the RZR forums, but (knock on wood) I've had good look with the quality of the cheap Chinese stuff. I've got a 36" bar on my RZR that I paid $40 for 2 years ago (the Rigid equivalent was almost $500) and it still works great. Hard to justify $500 for Trucklite or Rigid when I can buy some for $40 that are virtually the same and just as bright. Guess I'll see what other responses I get about the mounting aspect, but I highly doubt I'll spend $500 on lights for a vehicle that I only paid a total of $1500 for.......but thanks for your response.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I am very close to purchasing a set of these, they look identical to the Morimoto 5x7's that are discontinued and I assume they used the same tooling to produce these (maybe not internal components though). Both are a copy of the JW Speaker 5x7's anyways.

Amazon Amazon

They have reports of pretty good cutoff and no reports of any failures. I have retrofitted bi-xenon projectors now but they have been problematic, and have to be very careful around water, mud, big puddles and such.

EDIT:
The JW Speaker 8900 Gen.2 is the best on the market right now,

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by investinwaffles; 01-17-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I am very close to purchasing a set of these,.......
I wonder how many lumens those are? The spec's don't list that info'.....although I'm sure they're better than OEM.

They still have a similar shell on the back, so I wonder about mounting them. Are your projectors like that? If so, how did you mount them?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

I wonder how many lumens those are? The spec's don't list that info'.....although I'm sure they're better than OEM.

They still have a similar shell on the back, so I wonder about mounting them. Are your projectors like that? If so, how did you mount them?
The projectors stuck out quite a bit from my headlight housings. I don't think I needed to modify the bucket, but I did need to open a hole in the panel behind the headlight bucket (header panel?) and clearance the headlight retaining rings a bit. Nothing major, I think it took me about 10 minutes a side to clearance + drill the holes.

I am assuming they will take a little massaging to fit, most likely around the headlight retaining ring. A dremel and grinding wheel should take care of it pretty easily.

As far as lumens, it is really hard to take their word for it anyway so I am almost glad they didn't list it. My HID bulbs will do about ~2200 lumens each when new, so probably 1800-2000 raw lumens since mine are a few years old now.
I will do a full review when I order them, especially compared to H1 Bi-Xenon retrofitted projectors. There is not much good documentation on Cherokee XJ headlight options, especially in regards to cutoff and performance.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly if you are not in the market to pay for some truck lites or Rigid lights these are a nice knock off.

I have a set of truck lites and bought these for my other XJ just to see how they compare and I cannot tell a difference. The light distribution is a little different but not much. I put them side by side on my garage door and they are very similar.

I hate to recomend a Chinese knock off but not everyone wants to pay $300-400 for headlights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-CREE-5...1aRgTb&vxp=mtr
Old 01-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Good info guys. I appreciate it!
Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

i have the direct led bolt ups that i got from ebay that have a small fan on the end and I love them! And they were less than 30bucks
Old 01-18-2018, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by eric2323
i have the direct led bolt ups that i got from ebay that have a small fan on the end and I love them! And they were less than 30bucks
Could you post a pic or link to what you have?
Old 01-18-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I bought these off Amazon last fall. Absolutely fantastic lights. Someone once commented about "light scatter" or something.? All I know is these work VERY well and look cool. Plug and play. Just swap these in and they plug directly in to the original plugs. Zero issues. Love em.

Amazon Amazon

I even hooked up the halos for DRLs.

Last edited by diskman; 01-18-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

I have Crystal shells. and LED H4, rated 9000LM
Those like above seem to blinding and the scatter in the rain sucks typically.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Could you post a pic or link to what you have?
Go to ebay and type 122803370341 item number and it should come ip. If not then let me know
Old 01-19-2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by eric2323
Go to ebay and type 122803370341 item number and it should come ip. If not then let me know
Wow, that's simple and easy. For only $20, I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-20-2018, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by diskman
I bought these off Amazon last fall. Absolutely fantastic lights. Someone once commented about "light scatter" or something.? All I know is these work VERY well and look cool. Plug and play. Just swap these in and they plug directly in to the original plugs. Zero issues. Love em.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I even hooked up the halos for DRLs.

This is what my H1 bi-xenon cutoff looks like. How do those fare? Even the JW speakers are only on-par with a high end HID setup IMO

Quick Reply: LED headlights