Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:33 PM

Location: Paradise actually. Also known as Central New Mexico @ 7 K feet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default Not a car/jeep guy

So, how should I begin finding a limited slip or posi traction rear end for my 87 XJ. The one I got must have been intended for the fledgling real estate agent market.

Used is fine if it's not been misused. I don't go four wheeling in the sense most of you think of it. But my drive way is more than a mile of seep rocky switchbacks with water bars diagonlly across the road. I use the term lightly. More than 7 mph and you WILL be four wheeling and getting air. Add 2 feet of snow and you will begin to see my frustration at learning this info on my diff. My fault of course, that doesn't help matters much. I just jacked up a wheel and it turned the drive shaft so at least I got to greas both u joints on the back half of the drive train.

I don't need the Danna 44 version but something that will keep both rear wheels in play during a low speed climb in plenty of snow or mud sometimes.

What I'm after here is things to watch out for and maybe some things to ask a perspective seller. I'm thinking mostly junk yards cuz I have no idea re the cost of a new one if it exists. Possible sources to check that might network with other yards to find something.

Oh yea, short of the Dana 44 hope I got that right, my reading here tells me that something from Chrysler should do nicely but I don't know the model or how to describe what I want to a seller. I'm in New Mexico if one of you live with in 300 miles and have one in your garage .... you know the rest. Thanks a BIG amount.

Ron
Old 03-08-2017, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by ron45
So, how should I begin finding a limited slip or posi traction rear end for my 87 XJ. The one I got must have been intended for the fledgling real estate agent market.

Used is fine if it's not been misused. I don't go four wheeling in the sense most of you think of it. But my drive way is more than a mile of seep rocky switchbacks with water bars diagonlly across the road. I use the term lightly. More than 7 mph and you WILL be four wheeling and getting air. Add 2 feet of snow and you will begin to see my frustration at learning this info on my diff. My fault of course, that doesn't help matters much. I just jacked up a wheel and it turned the drive shaft so at least I got to greas both u joints on the back half of the drive train.

I don't need the Danna 44 version but something that will keep both rear wheels in play during a low speed climb in plenty of snow or mud sometimes.

What I'm after here is things to watch out for and maybe some things to ask a perspective seller. I'm thinking mostly junk yards cuz I have no idea re the cost of a new one if it exists. Possible sources to check that might network with other yards to find something.

Oh yea, short of the Dana 44 hope I got that right, my reading here tells me that something from Chrysler should do nicely but I don't know the model or how to describe what I want to a seller. I'm in New Mexico if one of you live with in 300 miles and have one in your garage .... you know the rest. Thanks a BIG amount.

Ron
have a look
http://www.eaton.com/RU/Eaton/Produc...trac/index.htm
Old 03-09-2017, 12:26 AM

I haven't considered getting something new. But I won't rule it out till I have a price. I'm hoping to find something I can afford. I'm not adverse to hitting the junk yards. But I'll need to hurry. They are rattler heaven and they'll be waking up in a few weeks or so. I took the number down but I don't have a lot of hope of finding something I can afford from a place like this one. I'll check tomorrow maybe they'll have some further suggestions.

Ron
Old 03-09-2017, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

have you verified what axle you have in your 87? that was the most common year for the desirable d44 as a stock axle.

why not toss in a luchbox locker? they are inexpensive and quite easy to install, and may be quicker than a complete axle swap. and you already know the condition of your axle and not taking a chance on a junkyard axle which may leak or bearings and/or lsd clutches may be bad.

the other option is a chrysler 8.25. some came with trak-loc, which is basically just a limited slip differential.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:43 AM

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...k-specs-26256/

The link above is the only info I know of on what may be my axle type.

Rear Axles
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.)
(Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 Dana 44
non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Too many possibilities here. It would be nice if the Danna44 was in there but they didn't put a Danna diff. in the housing.

Is there a reason to ignore the Danna 35 I asked about? I explained my thinking on the Danna stuff, ...don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it and hope it turns out that way. But Money is a factor. I can get that Danna 35 for 283+ free shipping. But I don't know enough at this point to make a selection. So I'm greateful for your input and regret dumping all my questions on you.

Wouldn't I have to pull every thing apart to verify what axles I have?

Also the alternatives you suggest i.e. lunch box locker I don't know anything about those or how to tell if they would just pop in to my existing diff. But I'd love to find out more. Is there some reading I can do regarding what diff I do have and if the lunchbox locker really will just pop in there. Going back to the specs page, but I don't know how much I can rely on that info when it comes to plunkin down the cash for a part.

Ron

Last edited by ron45; 03-09-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

for the renix jeeps, which is 87-90, you had only two options for rear axles. an oval diff cover (dana 35) and a hexagonalish cover (dana 44).

front axles were only d30 in all xj cherokee's.

if you are only running up to 33 inch tire, dana 35 should be sufficient enough.
but with a locker, you would be better off with a d44.
if you have a d35, at least it's not a c-clip axle and if you snap a shaft with a locker, you can still drive it home without the axle walking out on you.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Look @ the cover
Old 03-21-2017, 02:55 AM

Thanks Turbo XJ, Pictures are always a help.

Ron