Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

ZJ Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ZJ Speakers

I'm wondering what other people have bought to replace the original Infinity Gold speakers in their ZJ's?

Noticed when I took off my drivers door panel a couple months ago that the foam surround on the speaker had completely rotted off. Not sure if any of the other speakers are like that as I haven't looked, but the sound quality has sounded sub-par since I bought it.

Not really sure what speakers I should buy to replace the originals with. Also not sure if it would be a good idea to bypass the stock amp or replace it with an aftermarket amp while I'm at it. My current head unit is aftermarket (Pioneer DEH-435) as the stock Infinity Gold head unit died shortly after I bought the car.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Anything aftermarket will be better than the Infinity speakers. You can use the aftermarket speakers with the stock amp, replace the amp, or just bypass it. The front and rear door speakers are 6.75" (6x3/4"), but 6.5" (6x1/2") or 6.75" (6x3/4") aftermarket speakers will work, as well as some 5.25" (5x1/4") aftermarket speakers. The dash tweeters are a bit more difficult, as they're 2.75" (2x3/4"), and you'll have to make a bracket to secure any aftermarket tweeters in place. For the front and rear door speakers, you'll get plastic adapters and wiring harness adapters that plug into the factory wiring harnesses so you don't have to cut any wiring, but you WILL have to re-drill the factory speaker screw holes using self-tapping screws. For the dash tweeters, you'll need to cut off the factory wiring harnesses, and splice the factory speaker wiring into your aftermarket tweeters, there's NO way around this, unfortunately.

I'd recommend going through Crutchfield, as you get lifetime customer support, installation instructions specific to your vehicle, and free mounting accessories and wiring harness adapters that'll cost you $15-$20 extra when you go to a place like Best Buy or Walmart.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 94zj318; 09-13-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

My dad just got 4 Infinity something's. $55 for a pair on Amazon if you have Prime. They sound pretty damn good.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I am a big fan of Pioneer speakers for cheap replacements, many are designed for <30w to be powered off the head unit, and they are smooth and not harsh sounding
The following users liked this post:
Bacon-Slayer (04-28-2020)