Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wire resistances

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wire resistances

Was checking some splices I soldered to make sure connections were good and found this.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...es/wirega.html
Old 10-28-2016, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

And I know the chart says solid wire. I looked at some with stranded wire and they were the same or close. Here's some more useful info for wiring.
Attached Thumbnails Wire resistances-image.png  
Old 10-29-2016, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Nice chart, thanks for posting!

On a side note if your not certain of the exact draw always error to the larger size you will never go wrong with a larger wire.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you posted is called an "ampacity chart" for 12 volts. The biggest problem with using a random one is that you have no idea what voltage loss percentage or temperature the person who made the chart used to arrive at the result. Kind of a crapshoot with most of them.

As wire temperature increases, so does the resistance, meaning it will carry fewer amps before meltdown. It also translates to higher voltage loss at the receiving end of the cable.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by machinisttx
What you posted is called an "ampacity chart" for 12 volts. The biggest problem with using a random one is that you have no idea what voltage loss percentage or temperature the person who made the chart used to arrive at the result. Kind of a crapshoot with most of them.

As wire temperature increases, so does the resistance, meaning it will carry fewer amps before meltdown. It also translates to higher voltage loss at the receiving end of the cable.
I figured it was an average at like room temp or something. Just a base to go by under average conditions. Just more reason to go with the larger wire if the smaller gauge is close to the limit.