Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Modified Overhead Console

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 12:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default Modified Overhead Console

I've got a 1996 and I want to install an overhead console. My Cherokee already has the rear overhead speakers, but I want to add another speaker bar over the front seats. I plan on joining these two right at the end of the overhead console forming a "T." I'm going to delete the domelight as the lights in the console should be adequate. The stock dome light with the two buttons that's in the jeep now, I plan on relocating to the rear sound bar. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions!

Mockup
Old 04-18-2021, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 346 Likes on 235 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

You'll want to check head clearance before you cut anything. Would be bad if you got it all finished only to find out you smack your head on the speaker bar.
The following users liked this post:
Travis Mudrich (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Good call. I'll definitely do some test fitting before I make anything permanent
Old 04-18-2021, 01:14 PM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

One other thing to think about with the two button map/dome light.
The front of it has a lip that goes under the head liner. You would have to cut that off to make it work.
It does have "mostly" the same mounting screw locations however.

I had the idea to mount one in the back of my cargo area till I looked at how the lip slides under the head liner to support the front, and I nixed that idea. I just did not want to cut my freshly re-upholstered headliner to see if it would work.
Travis Mudrich (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the info! I haven't removed it yet so I didn't know how different it was. And my headliner is in perfect condition so I don't want to tear it up either. I'm going to try to find a middle ground
Old 07-22-2021, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Small Update

So I did a little more planning. Everything is going pretty much the same as before. I test fitted everything in the Jeep to make sure there was enough clearance for both the front and rear passengers.

Right here is about where im going to make them intersect. I'm shooting to have the light cluster dead in the middle of the soundbar as I think that would be the most pleasing aesthetic. The end will be trimmed short and flush with the back of the soundbar.

The tail of the overhead console will be trimmed off as it will be supported by the soundbar. I am probably going to fuse both pieces together using fiberglass matting on the inside, and a coathanger for support, kinda like rebar inside of cement. You wont be able to see it, but it will be as proper as possible. I'll also recover this with a single piece of fabric.

This set of overhead lights will be deleted for the overhead console lights, and the factory two-button one I currently have will be repurposed as the new rear cargo light.

I'm fourtunate that the audio and lights dont share the same pigtail connector, so this will be easy. I will just remove the light wires from the speaker ones, and intrrgrate the audio loom into the overhead console harness, and just run it down the passenger side A-pillar where the overhead console harness plugs into.

I wanted to just tap into the rear soundbar and have both on the same circuit, but think this may cause issues. Can someone elaborate?

Again, I'm open to any and all feedback!
Old 07-30-2021, 12:35 AM

Received 293 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 2.9 Stroker 4cyl

Cool project, and I like the way you think!

Maybe something to think about................ Instead of trying to do one piece of fabric, maybe do it in two or three.
The reason I say this is that the OHC has lots of contours to it, and it is a PITA alone to recover it by itself.
Ifin you add a cross section it will be more than a PITA, and you will start throwing things when you get a wrinkle in the fabric and you have to start over. But of course now you have to get all that fresh glue, and headliner foam off of the plastic too.
HAHA That happened to me, with just the OHC.
Not to mention I can tell your a perfectionist (thats a good thing), but you wont be happy if has wrinkles in it after all your hard work.
Travis Mudrich (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by DustyWagoneer
Cool project, and I like the way you think!

Maybe something to think about................ Instead of trying to do one piece of fabric, maybe do it in two or three.
The reason I say this is that the OHC has lots of contours to it, and it is a PITA alone to recover it by itself.
Ifin you add a cross section it will be more than a PITA, and you will start throwing things when you get a wrinkle in the fabric and you have to start over. But of course now you have to get all that fresh glue, and headliner foam off of the plastic too.
HAHA That happened to me, with just the OHC.
Not to mention I can tell your a perfectionist (thats a good thing), but you wont be happy if has wrinkles in it after all your hard work.
Oh absolutely! Lol I've already removed the fabric and foam from the overhead console. I still have to remove the adhesive though. I thought about keeping the two parts seperate and covering them in fabric separately, but I have given a lot of thought to how the seam will look, both the fabric and the structure. The two structures are at different heights and they need to be intersected instead of butted up like in the first picture because of passenger headroom. This means the rear lights of the overhead console will need to be transplanted into the soundbar or completely deleted, if I wanted to keep the two parts seperate. Another thing to consider is how the overhead console mounts to the roof. If I join them, the soundbar will support the end of the overhead console. I still do not know if il going to run the speakers off the rear ones (which would be easiest, electronically) or incorporate them into the overhead harness.

So apart from the fabric and possible electrical dilemma, the only other problems I could see with joining the two parts together, is getting the entire unit into and out of the car when I install it, and for future modifications. If I can't fit it through the doors I'll have to do it through the rear hatch.

The second best option in my opinion is completely joining the two together, would be to mount the overhead lights onto the spundbar separately, and keep the two structures and electronical harnesses seperate. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Junkyard Finds!

Today I visited my local junkyard to gather more parts for various projects. I came across a few things for the overhead console project.

I was able to find 2 -96 overhead consoles! I was lucky to find one, let alone 2! The second one that I found was the one that is cut in half.

The split console came out of an XJ that had a sunroof, which was strangely installed. The back half was under the headliner, and still had the original fabric on it under the headliner.

Between the three consoles, I should have enough working parts to build a complete one.