Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Alpine Sound Quality ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Alpine Sound Quality ???

I'm looking at the Alpine with three sets of outputs. IIRC THE NUMBER 149BT ??? I think it had 4 x 50 w in the head itself ? I was wondering if anyone had tried that compared to separate amps ? Is it good quality sound ? Will it be equivalent to good amps? I am planning on going with the old school Rockford Fosgate DSM punch amps. I had them back in the early 90's when I use to compete in sound offs. I listen to a lot of different music. Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, Neil Young, some days bluegrass, a lot a classical, hate opera ,sometimes Foulcalt, Isakov and folk/ american. I like lots of power for better sound quality at lower volumes .I am going to go with a Subthumper and 10" shallow Rockford Fosgate single sub in the cubby. I am undecided on the 6.5 speakers as yet. Infinty Reference or Polk Audios, maybe MB Quarts ??? I have a nice set of the OEM tweeter pods with Infinity Reference tweeters 135w max. Your thought on depending on the head's power as apposed to the separate amps. I am planning for at least 2 amps, possibly 3 if the head unit isn't up to par. What speakers do you guys suggest ? I've been out of the loop on the modern equipment. From what I have gathered, the older Fosgates rival or surpass the modern stuff ? Thanks for your opinions !
Old 07-07-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

I have a set of Alpine SPE-6090's (6x9" 2-Ways) in the front doors of my '02 Grand Cherokee WJ without the Infinity Gold system. I have them paired with a 50w x 4ch Kenwood KDC-BT758HD head unit and stock dash tweets and rear door speakers. They sound alright, but bass response isn't as good as I expected. In the WJ, those were the only aftermarket 6x9"'s that would fit back when I replaced the stock front door units (2015). I think there's other options now. The Kenwood HU itself makes the stock speakers sound really good.

In terms of stock systems made by Alpine, my '14 Grand Cherokee WK2 has the stock 506w x 7.1ch Alpine system, and it sounds awesome (we have the midlevel Limited trim, so no option for the Harman/Kardon 18-speaker, 825w x 7.1ch system). The setup consists of 2 front door-mounted 6X9" component speakers (6X9" woofers and 1" dome tweeters), a single 3.5" center channel dash speaker, 2 rear door-mounted 6X 3/4" full ranges, 2 2.5" cargo area-mounted mid-range speakers, and I think a 10" sub in the right rear quarter panel, all controlled via a 506w x 7.1ch amp that I think is mounted under the front passenger's seat. The door speakers have blue speaker cones and are plastic cone I believe. Bass can be a bit too much sometimes from the stock rear-mounted sub, and there's no independent sub adjustment. But typically Alpine is good quality.

Last edited by 94zj318; 07-07-2018 at 07:43 AM.