Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

All audio questions go here

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC
Default All audio questions go here

Post em up!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Post em up!
how can a deaf guy hear the radio?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

By the vibrations in his pants.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:18 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rear Speakers

I put in kickers in both front doors and in the rear. The rear only play bass, so I figured they were designated incorrectly as subwoofers or something. There is no setting to change this on my pioneer head unit. How should I fix it?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by headslapwarrior
I put in kickers in both front doors and in the rear. The rear only play bass, so I figured they were designated incorrectly as subwoofers or something. There is no setting to change this on my pioneer head unit. How should I fix it?
There should be a menu setting for the rear speaker option you want to change from "subwoofer" to "full range" like:
http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/CNDV_...nual/?Page=154
If not, try to do a factory reset & start over.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by headslapwarrior
Check to see if the magnet is touching something. Could possibly be grounding itself out somewhere or the wires got mixed
Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I just want to say...

I find these "All X questions go here" threads to be useless. If you're searching for information about a particular issue, you find one post asking about it, then you have to read through 30 pages of unrelated discussion in the hopes of finding an answer that nobody ever gives. These threads usually devolve into just a few people discussing their own pet topics. And generally those will be the same people who are first to jump on a new poster for not searching before asking a question that was answered on page 19 of a 54 page thread.

For the benefit of people coming later, I would ask that members DON'T post your questions in this thread. Make separate posts for separate topics so the rest of us can benefit from the discussion when we look for answers two years from now.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 2.5

^^^AMEN BROTHER!! I'm just shy of 53 and don't understand where 'others' get the time to spend searching and searching for just a tidbit of info that only leads one down perpetual rabbit trails.

I'm trying to get info on connecting the wires from my '96 body (lights and turn signals) to a 'donor' '99 front clip, and the plugs are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!
Also, I would love to do that overhead console like I had back in the day of a '92 Loredo.
I don't see anything in these crappy Hanes manuals.. (don't know WHY I gave them my money AGAIN!!)

I'd also would love to see a how to section of JUST STICKY's that can only be added to by MODS, after satisfactory results have been made.
Another thing.. WHAT THE HECK happened that everybody is using goofy acronyms instead of just typing out words?
I could see if at the salvage yard that instead of year on the little sticker it gave ZJ, xj, etc.. BUT THEY DON"T.. It's year and model.

OK, I'm good.
E

Originally Posted by extrashaky
I just want to say...

I find these "All X questions go here" threads to be useless. If you're searching for information about a particular issue, you find one post asking about it, then you have to read through 30 pages of unrelated discussion in the hopes of finding an answer that nobody ever gives. These threads usually devolve into just a few people discussing their own pet topics. And generally those will be the same people who are first to jump on a new poster for not searching before asking a question that was answered on page 19 of a 54 page thread.

For the benefit of people coming later, I would ask that members DON'T post your questions in this thread. Make separate posts for separate topics so the rest of us can benefit from the discussion when we look for answers two years from now.

Last edited by rockosocko; 11-16-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by rockosocko
Another thing.. WHAT THE HECK happened that everybody is using goofy acronyms instead of just typing out words?
I could see if at the salvage yard that instead of year on the little sticker it gave ZJ, xj, etc.. BUT THEY DON"T.. It's year and model.
They're not acronyms. They're model designations, and we use them for clarity because they are more precise than the model names. "Cherokee" could refer to a full sized Cherokee from the 70s, the smaller Cherokee introduced in the 80s, the new Dodge Dart Cherokee or the Jeep Liberty, which was marketed in other countries as a Cherokee after the name was discontinued in the US. These are all completely different cars. Then there are Grand Cherokees, with four different models with the same name. And there's also "Wagoneer," which could refer to a 70s Wagoneer, an 80s Wagoneer or an 80s Grand Wagoneer, which is the same as the 70s Wagoneer but had to have "Grand" put on it to differentiate it from the XJ Wagoneer. And those are just the Jeeps we discuss on this board.

Using the letter designation instead helps avoid confusion. Not too long ago someone posted a problem on one of the boards he was having with his Cherokee. People started chiming in with solutions, but he was completely confused because none of them fit with what he was seeing. Finally he posted pictures, and it was clear it was NOT a Cherokee. It was Grand Cherokee. If he had just said "ZJ," all that confusion would have been avoided. The exact same thing happened with an Australian posting about his Cherokee, which confused people when he insisted it was a 2002. XJ Cherokees went out of production in 2001. He was talking about what we call a Liberty, but calling it a KJ would have avoided the confusion.

So learn the model designation of your vehicle and bookmark this link to look them up when people refer to one you don't know:

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/misc/models.html
Old 11-16-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by rockosocko
^^^AMEN BROTHER!! I'm just shy of 53 and don't understand where 'others' get the time to spend searching and searching for just a tidbit of info that only leads one down perpetual rabbit trails.

I'm trying to get info on connecting the wires from my '96 body (lights and turn signals) to a 'donor' '99 front clip, and the plugs are TOTALLY DIFFERENT!
Also, I would love to do that overhead console like I had back in the day of a '92 Loredo.
I don't see anything in these crappy Hanes manuals.. (don't know WHY I gave them my money AGAIN!!)

I'd also would love to see a how to section of JUST STICKY's that can only be added to by MODS, after satisfactory results have been made.

OK, I'm good.
E
Go to your Haynes manual and cross reference the wire colors from your 96 clip and match them to the corresponding wires from the 99 clip.

You can either splice the wires directly or buy new connectors that match and build them.

Easy peasy no?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Anyone have a walkthrough on how to install an aftermarket CD player using the "Metra 70-1817 Receiver Wiring Harness". Wiring intimidates me, so I would feel better if I could find something comprehensive that can walk me through it before I start.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:14 PM

The Metra package should have a color code that tells you what color wires do what.

Simply cross reference these functions to the color code for the aftermarket stereo you buy.

Remember, the blue wire on your harness may not be the same function as the blue wire from the head unit. (Just an example).

It really is super simple. Pos (+) to Pos (+), Neg (-) to Neg (-), L speaker to L speaker, R speaker to R speaker, etc, etc, etc.

Either solder and heat shrink the connections or use some sort of mechanical splice.

Take your time... don't over think the situation. Nothing in there will electrocute and kill you. At worst you may pop a fuse or two.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:18 PM

Let me add this too...

Go ahead and splice your Metra harness to your aftermarket head unit on your workbench or kitchen table. Then, all you have to do is plug it into the factory Jeep harness, and hook up the antenna (and possibly a ground).

At this time you turn the key forward and fire up the radio to test it before you completely assemble the dash again.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Drivers side speaker has never worked, 2000 xj all electric Windows/locks. The wires that go from the door to the jeep look like they've been mangled a lot, the boot is pretty cut up. How hard is it gonna be to find where the wiring isn't connected?
Old 11-20-2015, 08:23 AM

My radio cuts off when I roll my windows up.