Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Radio Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Radio Help

I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the FM radio won't work and the CD player only works half the time. Most of the time it spits the disc out and stays error. But if it does work it will work like a charm until you shut the car off. This is the only issue I've had from this Jeep since I got it in 2005
Thanks
Dougjm
Old 08-16-2016, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Just get yourself a cheap headunit, you can install it in like an hour if you get a $6 radio harness

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-X...n%3A6362488011

Plus you get MP3 support from CD or a USB thumb drive, AND you get Bluetooth

The CD Loaders are a bit finicky and once they start going not much you can do to repair them
Old 08-19-2016, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I have to agree with waffles, Doug. Getting these things repaired is not worth it. Even if you can find someone who will work on it, it's going to cost far more than its worth.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you double check all your connections, especially your grounds. A bad or intermittent ground can do very weird things.

Other than that, replace it.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:38 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
I have to agree with waffles, Doug. Getting these things repaired is not worth it. Even if you can find someone who will work on it, it's going to cost far more than its worth.

The only other thing I can suggest is that you double check all your connections, especially your grounds. A bad or intermittent ground can do very weird things.

Other than that, replace it.
This... also, as far as the CD player goes, if you're really wanting to keep it (which, I wouldn't) you can get a CD lazer lens cleaner - it's a CD with little brushes on it that will clean the lens for you.

But there are a lot of really decent aftermarket radio/cd players for under a hundo. If you buy it from Crutchfield, they'll even include an installation kit with the wiring harness and dash adapter for free.