MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

What would you pay for this MJ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default What would you pay for this MJ?

"New lift, radiator, cooling system upgrade, transmission upgrade to AX15 from ba10, new wheels and tires, interior, seats converted to bucket, New paint, bedliner, rust proof frame, lights all LED all the way around, everything works, 152k miles changed the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket, fuel pump, fuel filter, oil pump, oil screen, temp sensor, coolant, oil, spark plus, filters, air filter, the interior is nice."
Now with all that being said, I am not the seller, I am the buyer. My wife and I are new to the Jeep world after buying a 90 YJ last year and love it. I'm interested in the MJ because we need a small truck bed for odd jobs. I am not sure the value of these MJs because online the prices vary ALOT. He is asking $5,500

Last edited by David Lane; 01-28-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:34 AM

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

It might be better to say what the seller's asking price is and let us comment on that. It seems to have had some nice mods done to it that are hopefully to your liking. That one has the late model XJ body update which a lot of guys like. Was the interior done too?

I always want to know how long the previous owner had it and what he did to it or had others do. Character is important too. I could have remained friends with the guy I bought my MJ from! I've met a few sellers that I knew within 5 minutes that I wouldn't be dealing with. Have you seen it in person and have you driven it?
Old 01-28-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Thanks for th

Originally Posted by PCO6
It might be better to say what the seller's asking price is and let us comment on that. It seems to have had some nice mods done to it that are hopefully to your liking. That one has the late model XJ body update which a lot of guys like. Was the interior done too?

I always want to know how long the previous owner had it and what he did to it or had others do. Character is important too. I could have remained friends with the guy I bought my MJ from! I've met a few sellers that I knew within 5 minutes that I wouldn't be dealing with. Have you seen it in person and have you driven it?
Thanks for the quick response, the owner is asking that I pay $5,500. He has had the MJ for 2 years. Yes I drove the vehicle all around town and even up to 77mph on the interstate. It was a smooth ride!
Old 01-28-2021, 11:09 AM

Default Only noticable issue

It was leaking oil. The owner claims that it is simply missing a bolt. My first question is if it's that simple, why hasn't he done it.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lane

It was leaking oil. The owner claims that it is simply missing a bolt. My first question is if it's that simple, why hasn't he done it.
It is missing a bolt that he stripped in a location where it is important to have that specific bolt there or it will leak. Don't buy this, when you see jobs like this it means he did every job like that, meaning when he broke something or had to repair something that was difficult he did the least work possible to actually fix it.

When I bought my jeep the freaking wires for the fuel injectors were twisted together and then electrical taped..... He did every job like this and so his supposed motor rebuild got rebuilt again and that costed me 2400 dollars. Don't expect this vehicle to have been taken very good care of. He is probably the 15th owner and just trying to clean it up enough to sell because he is tired of dealing with problems....

TLDR if one thing is covered in silicone instead of fixed the right way, you will find more covered up instead of fixed correctly.

Last edited by Griffyorcono; 01-28-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:21 PM

Default Sure still not worth $5,500?

Originally Posted by Griffyorcono
It is missing a bolt that he stripped in a location where it is important to have that specific bolt there or it will leak. Don't buy this, when you see jobs like this it means he did every job like that, meaning when he broke something or had to repair something that was difficult he did the least work possible to actually fix it.

When I bought my jeep the freaking wires for the fuel injectors were twisted together and then electrical taped..... He did every job like this and so his supposed motor rebuild got rebuilt again and that costed me 2400 dollars. Don't expect this vehicle to have been taken very good care of. He is probably the 15th owner and just trying to clean it up enough to sell because he is tired of dealing with problems....
TLDR if one thing is covered in silicone instead of fixed the right way, you will find more covered up instead of fixed correctly.
That really is a shame because he seemed to know a lot and has done a lot to take care of the truck. He uses it as his daily driver and has even drove 12 hr road trips in it. All based on what he told me of course. This is literally the only problem I was able to find, everything else was as it should be.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:25 PM

Default More pics

Old 01-28-2021, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Member

That really is a shame because he seemed to know a lot and has done a lot to take care of the truck. He uses it as his daily driver and has even drove 12 hr road trips in it. All based on what he told me of course. This is literally the only problem I was able to find, everything else was as it should be.
Well guess what, if you like it and it made you smile you should buy it. When I bought my Jeep I could tell that the way things were done was not perfect but I said heck it's got everything I want and I will go ahead and tear this thing down so things are done the right way. You just need to understand that when you see crap like that it means there will most definitely be other problems or things that have to he redone and it may or may not get expensive.
The following users liked this post:
Sallen4520 (10-04-2023)
Old 01-28-2021, 01:29 PM

Default Back to the price

Originally Posted by Griffyorcono
Well guess what, if you like it and it made you smile you should buy it. When I bought my Jeep I could tell that the way things were done was not perfect but I said heck it's got everything I want and I will go ahead and tear this thing down so things are done the right way. You just need to understand that when you see crap like that it means there will most definitely be other problems or things that have to he redone and it may or may not get expensive.
well like I originally made this forum for, what would you call a good price from what you know? He's asking $5,500
Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Member

well like I originally made this forum for, what would you call a good price from what you know? He's asking $5,500
I bought mine in California where things are much more expensive and I paid 3,800. It has 300,000 on the odometer, motor was "rebuilt" manual transmission, two-door, and c8.25 in the rear. I'm like 8,000 into it now. I don't regret a second of it but hindsight 20/20 I could've purchased something better and saved some money...
Old 01-28-2021, 05:30 PM

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L

If that's your YJ next to your "future" MJ I'd say they'd make a nice pair ... same age, similar builds, both RENIX, etc. There doesn't seem to be much wrong with the MJ that you can't deal with.

If it helps (not likely - lol) I paid $4,000 CDN (about $3,000 USD) for my '88 Eliminator about 4 years ago. It's was pretty much stock and it ran great. I probably have half that again into it now (sports bar, Turbine wheels, tires, minor mechanical stuff, other stuff, etc.) but it's all good. It's a 2WD auto and great to whip around in. I have 4WD options too (XJ, TJ & LJ).

Last edited by PCO6; 01-28-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by PCO6
If that's your YJ next to your "future" MJ I'd say they'd make a nice pair ... same age, similar builds, both RENIX, etc. There doesn't seem to be much wrong with the MJ that you can't deal with.

If it helps (not likely - lol) I paid $4,000 CDN (about $3,000 USD) for my '88 Eliminator about 4 years ago. It's was pretty much stock and it ran great. I probably have half that again into it now (sports bar, Turbine wheels, tires, minor mechanical stuff, other stuff, etc.) but it's all good. It's a 2WD auto and great to whip around in. I have 4WD options too (XJ, TJ & LJ).

Seems like you're just going to have to trust your gut on this one. Goodluck also if you're religious pray about it before purchase
The following users liked this post:
clawfoot (08-13-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Agreed... if you pray about it... if He gives you a true sense of peace about it then that's the right path... if you feel any hesitation about it afterwards... then that's your answer too. He never steers us wrong... we just have to ask.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Renix, stock.

paid 5000 for my xj 3 years ago. 40k on factory rebuilt motor. 280k overall Atlas II, arb locker in front, disco eliminator axles, warn manual hubs, 5.5 inch lift, winch, swing out tire carrier, ford 9 inch rear, truetrac. 33x12.5 tires. cb radio, jerry can, recovery kit, hilift jack, factory service manuals..

Needed some minor work.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:18 AM

where can i find a sport bar

Quick Reply: What would you pay for this MJ?