MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

Aftermarket Speedo

Old 03-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Aftermarket Speedo

Hi guys Im making my own gauge setup for my MJ and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with aftermarket cable driven speedometers, I know there are a million online but I would like to hear some opinions from you guys first. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Model: Cherokee

If I was you i would just go digital, I'm almost done with my custom gauge cluster im doing for my 87 mj and I used a gauge from summit. I was going to use the factory style electrical sending unit buy I broke the old one off in the trans trying to swap a new on in, BUT summit also sells a universal GPS sending unit it compatible with their gauges. I'm waiting for mine to show up. It'll set you back about $200 but damn if it don't look good! Oh summit sent the wrong color gauge, my tachs spose to be red 😒
Old 03-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by nokool View Post
If I was you i would just go digital, I'm almost done with my custom gauge cluster im doing for my 87 mj and I used a gauge from summit. I was going to use the factory style electrical sending unit buy I broke the old one off in the trans trying to swap a new on in, BUT summit also sells a universal GPS sending unit it compatible with their gauges. I'm waiting for mine to show up. It'll set you back about $200 but damn if it don't look good! Oh summit sent the wrong color gauge, my tachs spose to be red ��
That looks awesome! And the diamond plate is a good touch. I just looked it up and its really cool had no idea that was even around. Thanks for the tip. Definitely looking more into it.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Great White Jeep

Year: Jeepless
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I went the GPS route too. Not cheap and works just ok. The brand is Livorsi. My issues is that the speedo cant keep up with the acceleration. Dont think that would be an issue with a Jeep but when you do 0-60 in 3 seconds, the GPS just cant keep up. Thats even with a 10 pps sender. Most standard gps senders are 3 pps. The other thing I dont like is that cruising below 5 mph (you can see it starts at 20 mph but has a digital display in the middle that reads down to 0), it doesnt pick up much. I would much rather get a conversion box that uses the cable as an input and has a digital output. I have used that in the past with a great outcome.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed View Post
I went the GPS route too. Not cheap and works just ok. The brand is Livorsi. My issues is that the speedo cant keep up with the acceleration. Dont think that would be an issue with a Jeep but when you do 0-60 in 3 seconds, the GPS just cant keep up. Thats even with a 10 pps sender. Most standard gps senders are 3 pps. The other thing I dont like is that cruising below 5 mph (you can see it starts at 20 mph but has a digital display in the middle that reads down to 0), it doesnt pick up much. I would much rather get a conversion box that uses the cable as an input and has a digital output. I have used that in the past with a great outcome.

That looks really cool! I like positions of the gauges, you did a good job. Ive been looking a GPS Speedo gauge the brand is SPR its not the best but it'll do for now.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Say something about this photo

Ya here's mine all put together and I have the same complaint about the GPS. I took it on my first test drive last night and it takes the GPS a few seconds to calculate how fast you are going but still legal and thats all I care about!!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by nokool View Post

Say something about this photo

Ya here's mine all put together and I have the same complaint about the GPS. I took it on my first test drive last night and it takes the GPS a few seconds to calculate how fast you are going but still legal and thats all I care about!!
Looks Great! What brand speedometer did you go with? And were you able to run the fuel gauge off the factory sending unit?
Old 03-15-2017, 05:29 PM

Im gonna purchase my gauges next week and I have the aluminum plate Im gonna use for it. Pics coming soon (hopefully :cheers)
Old 03-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeexj21 View Post
Im gonna purchase my gauges next week and I have the aluminum plate Im gonna use for it. Pics coming soon (hopefully :cheers)
Sweet! Oh has any of yall ever installed an alarm?? I'm trying to find where to jump my flashers signal wire to
Old 03-17-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by cherokeexj21 View Post
Looks Great! What brand speedometer did you go with? And were you able to run the fuel gauge off the factory sending unit?
They are summit gauges, intelltronx brand and the fuel gauge is set for multiple ohm ranged sending units . You just have to know what the range is so you can cut the right wire
Old 03-19-2017, 07:17 PM

Ordered the gauges today should be here Friday. I ordered the Volt, Coolant Temp and Fuel gauges. The speedo is gonna have to wait another week or so but Im gonna start making a template for everything tomorrow on some cardboard and wood that Im gonna rap in black or gray carpet.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Great White Jeep

Year: Jeepless
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Be sure to post pictures when you are done!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:12 PM

Got it all apart for measuring and cutting with fingers crossed!

Got the gauges in to start wiring.

Took me forever to wire everything but this is the gauges at night. Im gonna get the speedo and install that as well hopefully sooner than later.