MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

Absolute no frills Comanche

Old 09-10-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Absolute no frills Comanche

I haven't been on here and several years so I'm a little rusty on asking questions, especially about anything Jeep related. I just realized that I have had Renix era XJ's and MJ's in my life and didn't pay attention to squat. I have turned a few Chrysler era XJ's inside out so I'm quite well versed on those.

Now to the problem at hand. I have a 89 MJ that I had to snag because of price. They go for a few bucks short of a platinum mine around here so finding one for cheaper than $500 is unheard of. It's a 4.0 auto 4X2 with no options (including A/C). It's got some rust and some cracked unibody frame rails to repair, but it's got potential. The problem is the fact that there are mainly Chrysler era donors around me and I can't remember what all is swappable from the newer ones to the Renix bastards.

I already decided to stay with the current opp system because I know how good they can run. I have a H.O. head and intake and might possibly go with a heart intake if one falls in my lap. I know I can use a high pinion D30 with no incident, but I'm not sure about the tranny. I remember the bigger spline output for the Chrysler era AW4, but I'm not sure of what all will plug in without modification. I suppose I could try to make this tranny a 4x4 tranny and upgrade the output shaft at the same time, but I believe that might be beyond my abilities at the moment.

Another goal of mine is to make it a fully decked out model as opposed to stripped down no frills. I haven't done power conversion to one of these yet because I either had an all options jeep or had a stripped down beater I didn't care much about. If I have extensive 91-96 XJ's at my disposal, what all power options can I grab that will be the least pain in the **** to swap in this thing? Also, how about A/C? How much of that stuff will I absolutely HAVE TO get out of a Renix model?
Old 09-11-2016, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by XJdryva
some cracked unibody frame rails to repair,
Where, how?
Old 09-12-2016, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Where, how?
Starting above the sway bar bushing on the driver's side going back to the bottom rear bolt on the steering box. My guess is that it had severe death wobble extremely often judging by the looseness of every steering component and both ends of the track bar. It might as well not even have a track bar as bad off as it is. I've never seen something with 130k have such a trashed front end. Especially 2WD. Glad it's all coming out.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:44 AM

Not the best picture, but it shows the majority of the cracking. It goes an inch or 2 forward of this area