KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Select Terrain question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2
Default Select Terrain question

Ok This past summer I just purchased a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. I am used to the original 4x4 systems, my previous jeeps were a 2010 wranger JK and a 2003 TJ. Your options were 2 wheel drive, 4 HI, and 4 Lo. I live in North Dakota and the other day we had our 1st snow storm. When I usually drive my Cherokee the Select Terrain **** is in the AUTO position, but for the snow storm I put it in SNOW mode. Now here's my question Once I shut off the engine and when I come back to my Cherokee and restart it the Select Terrain system resets to Auto. I had to put the Select Terrain system back in SNOW mode as it was storming still. Is this Normal? I have searched for answers on this and can not find any info. I have also looked in my owners manual and it doesn't answer my question either. And if I select any other mode in the Select Terrain system once I shut off the engine and go to restart will it reset itself every time to AUTO mode? Any In put you might have will be appreciated, as I can not find an article to explain this for me. Thanks
Old 12-30-2018, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Based on my experiences with other modern automobiles I'd say that's probably normal for it to reset into a "default" mode to keep you from driving around in non snow environments in "snow" mode or other non-"regular" modes on dry pavement.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the transmission "defaults" to the auto mode and you have to actively put it into any other mode you want...or need in the case of snow. The auto mode is like an economy mode saving gas but not providing much else except slightly weird driving characteristics emphasizing economy over performance. FCA defaults to that as if they did anything else, gas mileage would be sharply impacted and then they would have to listen to everyone yelling online about how horrible the gas mileage is in the things. They already have to listen to some of that. Oh, and do not try to pass anyone on a two lane road using the auto mode is my hearty recommendation. Sport mode, go for it and enjoy.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 AM

Thank you for the reply. I kinda figured it defaulted to auto mode, I just wish they had some documentation stating that. I do miss my wrangler, at least there when I wanted 2wd I had it and when I wanted 4wd I it on demand. I am not used to technology I guess, I am old school.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by scotiez
I do miss my wrangler, at least there when I wanted 2wd I had it and when I wanted 4wd I it on demand. I am not used to technology I guess, I am old school.
Then why on earth did you buy a glorified minivan then? That's just feeding the fire LOL.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Then why on earth did you buy a glorified minivan then? That's just feeding the fire LOL.
Lol, I'm getting close to retirement and we are doing a lot more travel. Thought the Cherokee would be a lot better than the wrangler.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:54 AM

The Auto mode for the Trailhawk mode selector sets up the vehicle for front wheel drive and if it gets some front wheel traction loss it will add in some rear wheel effort to help.
There is lots of info on-line about the different modes of the Trailhawk drive system. The Snow mode starts it off in second gear to minimize initial wheel spin.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:44 PM

Engine: 6 Cyl

I write aircraft technical manuals for a living - 33 years, mostly Army & Navy helicopters. and yet I find the owners manual for my 2015 Cherokee Latitude daunting when I want a clear description of the way the Selec-Terrain works. So when you say that there is a lot of info on line (and I realize you're talking about TH's), can you point to some of where this info can be found?

To be specific, I am in southern Connecticut and often the snow is fairly shallow, which my Cherokee handles fairly well in Auto. But for any snowfall over perhaps 4", I've been disappointed using the Snow setting, and I've found better traction in such deeper snow using the bottom setting, which is for sand, mud, etc. I suspect that that setting is quicker to engage both front and rear axles (all 4WD should do that), Any thoughts?

Last edited by apoculamus; 02-23-2019 at 01:45 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 02-24-2019, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

If you're looking for a NAVAIR manual level of explination you probably aren't going to find it in the manual or online. Maybe the Factory Service Manual but maybe not since the select terrain feature is basically computer programming.

http://www.whyhighend.com/selec-terrain.html

https://blog.prescottmendota.com/201...dial-settings/
Old 02-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L

Originally Posted by scotiez
Ok This past summer I just purchased a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. I am used to the original 4x4 systems, my previous jeeps were a 2010 wranger JK and a 2003 TJ. Your options were 2 wheel drive, 4 HI, and 4 Lo. I live in North Dakota and the other day we had our 1st snow storm. When I usually drive my Cherokee the Select Terrain **** is in the AUTO position, but for the snow storm I put it in SNOW mode. Now here's my question Once I shut off the engine and when I come back to my Cherokee and restart it the Select Terrain system resets to Auto. I had to put the Select Terrain system back in SNOW mode as it was storming still. Is this Normal? I have searched for answers on this and can not find any info. I have also looked in my owners manual and it doesn't answer my question either. And if I select any other mode in the Select Terrain system once I shut off the engine and go to restart will it reset itself every time to AUTO mode? Any In put you might have will be appreciated, as I can not find an article to explain this for me. Thanks
100% normal the selec terrain system will also default back to Auto when the vehicle is turned off and started back up again. No matter what mode you are in (Except 4-low) every time you turn the vehicle off it will default to auto mode upon startup
Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Engine: 2.0T

The OP has to realize that things change after 15+ years. His new TH behaves differently than his antiquated Jeeps did. Embrace the change, or buy the 20 year old tech on used vehicles.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L

You can also make it FWD only should you really be hung up on the 2wd thing.

Pull the 4x4.PTU fuse and boom FWD only cherokee
Old 02-28-2019, 07:22 AM

Okay, thanks to all who responded. I get all that and I didn't really expect the equivalent of the depth you would find in a NAVAIR or in a TM 1 manual, but I was hoping for a setting that would force the Jeep to distribute power to both front and rear axles, in some percentage. I understand that this is computer driven, but I suspect that there is some response to what the sensors are telling the computer that both axles need to be working. Is that incorrect? The version of Selec-Terrain I have does not have either the Low setting or the downhill setting. I was too excited in the showroom the day I saw the Cherokee to remember to look for the higher end xmission.

Yes, I am an old-timer but no Jeep, ever, anywhere on this planet, should ever be stuck in a snowbank unless the undercarriage is hung up. Seriously And the videos were quite helpful, although I still want more info.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm OK with digital four wheel drive. I just hope it works five to 10 years down the line. I am an analog child, not a digital one however, and grew up changing my own oil and doing my own plugs and timing tune ups and even a clutch once. It was like 70 bucks for a clutch back in the day. My last one was 1500...gulp on a 2004 Suby with 140K on it. I just looked at the bill.

Then, I remember when digital changed all that and I never picked up a wrench again. Analog is robust and relatively simple. Old jeeps are robust to say the least. Digital is highly capable but suspect from a robust standpoint. And mechanics now spend half their time getting and keeping their certifications. I do know that if the poo ever hit the fan and our highly complex socio-political just in time infrastructures ever collapsed, I could probably keep an old analog points and plug vehicle going a lot longer than a digital one. And so, what do I do? I go and buy a Cherokee Trailhawk elite package with the tech package and every other electronic digital bell and whistle there is for my significant other. Yeah, right, I bought it for her. I like living dangerously...
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Selec Terrain and digital xmissions

Karl,
Trying to escape the digital future is becoming increasingly like trying to find leaded gasoline. But the tech improves literally every time the engineers open it up to look into their code. I think Jeep can do a much job explaining what the system does and what to expect. For example my Cherokee often shudders when accelerating slowly from a full stop. After over a year I came to learn that the tranny is tuned to be so fuel efficient that it often starts from a stop in a higher gear than I would choose with a stick shift. Or so I was told. Maybe that's not even true.

I too yearn for analog sometimes. I want my floor lever for 4WD and 4WD Low. I don't think I will ever buy an old enough Jeep to get that again. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Select Terrain question