KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

The Old and the New

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default The Old and the New

So, for some time I've been wanting to get an older XJ Cherokee and put a mild lift, new bumpers, etc. on it. I like the looks of the XJ's, they 4 wheel great, and the I-6 engine will just run and run.
But I ended up getting a new KL Cherokee first.
I live about 18 miles from town, and wanted something dependable and all weather capable, with good mileage.
The KL delivers all that. Very comfortable, smooth riding and great gas mileage.
I'm not sure I want to take it on more than dirt roads though.
The KL is certainly capable, two speed transfer case, off road suspension, and almost the entire underneath is covered by skid plates.
But the paint is immaculate, heated/cooled leather seats, etc. I'm not sure I want to get it "messed up".
So I got an '89 Cherokee that has a 3 inch lift and good tires on it.
Has some low down rust and the clear coat has peeled off the hood and roof, so I'm not worried about scratches and scrapes.
It has 134K on it, everything works, and it is amazing on rutty, rocky rough roads.
The KL is what I jump into for road trips, shopping errands, and the like, but it's nice to have the old beater XJ to hit the dusty trail.

The Old and the New-23trr4wh.jpg
Old 07-08-2017, 12:09 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default The Old and the New

I like seeing your "old and new" jeeps together; your second photo is incredible. Are those mountains local to you? Gorgeous view!
Old 07-08-2017, 04:06 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Thanks. This valley is ringed by 7 mountain ranges, you can see two of them in the background of the first pic.
The Bridger range, in the pic are the closest, and my view to the east of my house.
That pic was on the other side of the Bridger Range, more dramatic elevation gain and that side, being sheltered from the afternoon sun, keeps snow on them longer in the summer.