KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

No problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No problems

I recently test drove one, and had no transmission issues on the drive. I hear there are many tranny problems, can't seem to reproduce them myself.what should I be looking for?
Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 PM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

Sometimes they just fall right out. And all that naysaying comes from Ford lovers.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:29 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

From what I've read, it's like some are fine and others are lemon-like.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:28 AM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

Most are fine. Like any vehicle there is the occasional lemon. The problems were more attributed to servos and software but I think 2016 and on it has mostly been worked out. My 2016 has always been fine. The real problem is that space wasting 9th gear. Not something that comes into play much in my Jeep. I would think percentage wise, my has been engaged .05% of the time. And it has never stayed in 9th. Of course I don't drive 120 mph. lol
Old 05-04-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

At the risk of encouraging angry responses, I believe transmission problems consist of three types:

1. Genuine issues with the transmission clearly not working correctly. As stated by MoToad, it's unlikely too many of these still exist.

2. Non-issues inflated and conflated by non-KL lovers. You know who you are. So do we, because we hear from you all the time. Almost all of these are exaggerated with then intent of scaring Jeep into going back to the old Cherokee designs. It didn't work, and they've quieted down.

3. Folks not understanding that if you go from a Toyota Camry to a KL Cherokee, it's going to handle very differently.

4. Folks not realizing that the transmission is quite intelligent, and does a lot of software-based prediction. The transmission "learns" your driving style, and sometimes it makes a split-second mistake. If your spouse drives the KL more than you do, it's going to feel weird for you. If you drive yours a lot, it'll feel weird for someone else. If you split the driving, it'll often be guessing. The issues here are generally it picking a gear one-too-high (loss of power) or one-too-low (a sudden surge in torque), but this fixes itself in a second.

Most issues with performance can be corrected by using the slap-stick to put the KL into the gear you want. And if you don't know which gear you should be in, well... let me be kind here and say Jeeps often need a little reminder that you're in charge. That means you, driver, need to know this sort of stuff (and that's true for any car). It doesn't take a lot of training, either.

I've had no issues with mine that I didn't cause by erratic driving, and I've got one of the originals that allegedly had all the issues.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Naysayers...haha - seriously? I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. A total piece of junk. New Transmission, New entire climate control, New GPS/Radio, Temp sensor out the 1st week, Just had the entire Sunroof - full length replaced, New brake booster, and many more.

People, this is a total wreck of a vehicle. If you want proof, come see my piece of junk. I will NEVER NEVER buy another Jeep product.

This is not a Ford person, or a Toyota person. I'm a normal consumer who bought a great looking SUV that has had more problems than a $40K vehicle should ever have.

Believe it. This is a joke of a vehicle. The problems are real. If you are in the Chicago area, I'll show you. Never again.

Oh and my dealer admits all Cherokee's have been a pain for them...straight from the horses mouth.

And my new trans is still a joke. Shifts at the wrong time, jerks, kicks.....and this is the "NEW" Turbo version. I'll prob dump this 30K mile piece of a joke.

Last edited by guitar54; 05-09-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the problems with this SUV.

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f76/tsb-an...kee-71873.html

Last edited by guitar54; 05-09-2017 at 07:07 PM.