KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

My very first Jeep!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question My very first Jeep!!

I just bought a 2017 Cherokee, Deep Cherry Red, V6, 4WD, Limited, High Altitude and tow packages. It's nice!

I just can't figure out one thing: On the back bumper, there is a circle, that looks like it could be popped out. What in the heck is this circle for? If it gets popped out, can it be popped back in? What am I supposed to do with it, and should I ever need to do anything with it?

It's going to bug me until I find out what it's for, so please, somebody, clue me in!

Thanks!

CeCe
Old 06-16-2017, 04:01 PM

I'm trying to figure out if it's where a tow hook would be installed, such as the red tow hooks on the Trailhawk model. If that's what it's for, where could I get a tow hook, at the best price, to install permanently there?
Old 06-16-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Hey CeCe,

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your purchase of your new Cherokee!!! The circle IS indeed for the rear emergency tow hook. Unfortunately, if you want tow hooks like the Trailhawk, you'll have to get a Trailhawk bumper, since the Trailhawk uses a different bumper, and the rear tow hooks on it are mounted on either side of where a tow hitch receiver would be (there are 2 of them). The only reason you'd need to use a tow hook and pop out the circle is if you were to get stuck in something and need to be pulled out, or if you ever need to be towed and the tow truck driver needs to use a tow hook to pull you up onto his flatbed truck.

The hole is most likely threaded for a standard emergency tow hook, which I'd try your local auto parts store for, shouldn't be too expensive. It isn't somewhere where you'd permanently mount a tow hook. You could keep it in the glove box, or there are rails inside the rear cargo area on the left-hand panel where you can put a First Aid kit that's available as a MOPAR accessory at the dealer. Maybe you can get some sort of bag to store it in that'll mount to those rails? Or else you could keep the hook in the glove box.

Again, I hope this provides some insight for you. And again, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new Cherokee!!!

-Vince
Old 06-16-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

For reference, here's your rear bumper: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/jeep/...view-in-motion

And here's a Trailhawk's rear bumper:
https://www.torquenews.com/sites/def...erkee_rear.jpg

You can see how they're slightly different.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:18 AM

It is designed for a tow loop and they run from $40 to $60 depending on where you look. There are some threads on the forum regarding the thread size and Mopar part number. I ordered an aluminum one from Fleabay but then had to grind down the diameter and re-thread it. One good thing about doing it that way is that I'm able to run the threads down further into the bumper.