KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front half-shaft price - WT*?

Old 04-06-2018, 03:28 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L V6
Default Front half-shaft price - WT*?

Just got a new-to-me 2014 Trailhawk in need of new front half-shafts.

I've seen in several mid-2017 posts that people have paid around $250 a piece. Which is pricey, but workable. However, I am unable to find the latest spec (order # 52123739AF) for less than $550 a pop. That's a 100% price hike in 9 months! Over $1K for two OEM front shafts for a mid-range SUV is insane.

So my simple question is: Is there a place to get them at a more humane price?
KL14 is offline  
Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 1,905
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Try a parts store. No clue what they would have tho. Rockauto lists Mopar for $537, but there is a $50 core on top of that.
fb97xj1 is offline  
Old 04-08-2018, 11:52 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L V6
Default

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience...

Parts stores aren't really an option. I think. I doubt they are cheaper for the real thing and I don't want Chinese knockoffs, if they even exist. The OEMs are bad enough!
KL14 is offline  
Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SK
Posts: 60
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L
Default

Nothing but OEM available. In Canada it costs $837 including labor in replace a front CV Axle if its not covered under warranty. I've had 3 replaced under warranty do far.
Tyler-98-W68 is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
robertj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 980
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
Just got a new-to-me 2014 Trailhawk in need of new front half-shafts.

I've seen in several mid-2017 posts that people have paid around $250 a piece. Which is pricey, but workable. However, I am unable to find the latest spec (order # 52123739AF) for less than $550 a pop. That's a 100% price hike in 9 months! Over $1K for two OEM front shafts for a mid-range SUV is insane.

So my simple question is: Is there a place to get them at a more humane price?
How many miles? I can't believe a four year old car needs half shafts already. What's wrong with them? The boots bust? If so, is it possible just to replace them? This is why when I have a vehicle with independent suspension and change the oil I check those boots. I realize you bought it used, but checking them before purchase is pretty wise too.

Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much my experience...

Parts stores aren't really an option. I think. I doubt they are cheaper for the real thing and I don't want Chinese knockoffs, if they even exist. The OEMs are bad enough!
If OEMs aren't lasting, I doubt the Chinese knockoffs would be much worse. Labor might be another story, but if you do them yourself and get a "lifetime warranty" part from a parts store, that's the end of that.

Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
Nothing but OEM available. In Canada it costs $837 including labor in replace a front CV Axle if its not covered under warranty. I've had 3 replaced under warranty do far.
Is this a common thing with these Cherokees? WTF?

Last edited by robertj; 04-12-2018 at 11:59 AM.
robertj is offline  
Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 PM
  #6  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 3
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L V6
Default

Originally Posted by robertj View Post
How many miles? I can't believe a four year old car needs half shafts already. What's wrong with them? The boots bust? If so, is it possible just to replace them? This is why when I have a vehicle with independent suspension and change the oil I check those boots. I realize you bought it used, but checking them before purchase is pretty wise too.
Yeah, the left side boot is bust. And from what I understand those are not serviceable parts, the only way to fix is to replace the whole shaft. Besides, I don't have any experience changing shaft boots, but it doesn't look too difficult swapping the whole part.

Originally Posted by robertj View Post
If OEMs aren't lasting, I doubt the Chinese knockoffs would be much worse. Labor might be another story, but if you do them yourself and get a "lifetime warranty" part from a parts store, that's the end of that.

Is this a common thing with these Cherokees? WTF?
I only know what I've read on various forums, but from that it seems to at least not be an uncommon issue. Some have had theirs replace multiple times under warranty. And it appears to me like MOPAR is now jacking up the price, just as the highest mileage vehicles have run out of warranty. Not nice if that's the case. Not nice at all.
KL14 is offline  
Old 04-13-2018, 12:09 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SK
Posts: 60
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L
Default

Originally Posted by robertj View Post
How many miles? I can't believe a four year old car needs half shafts already. What's wrong with them? The boots bust? If so, is it possible just to replace them? This is why when I have a vehicle with independent suspension and change the oil I check those boots. I realize you bought it used, but checking them before purchase is pretty wise too.



If OEMs aren't lasting, I doubt the Chinese knockoffs would be much worse. Labor might be another story, but if you do them yourself and get a "lifetime warranty" part from a parts store, that's the end of that.



Is this a common thing with these Cherokees? WTF?

1 Was my fault, tore it offroad but they replaced it anyways. The other 2 ahd small nicks in them and then started leaking grease. it's not an overly common thing to have happen I just seem to have bad luck. In Theory RCV axles is said to be making a set of axles but they are extremely expensive, coupled with the fact that the weak link isn't the axles but the rear end it wouldn't make them a very good buy
Tyler-98-W68 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
knowme
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
7
04-28-2015 09:18 AM
cherokeefans1
KL Cherokee Tech
3
04-22-2015 01:29 AM
Morris4x4Center
Cherokee Chat
0
10-19-2012 10:56 AM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front half-shaft price - WT*?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: