KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Front half-shaft price - WT*?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L V6
Default Front half-shaft price - WT*?

Just got a new-to-me 2014 Trailhawk in need of new front half-shafts.

I've seen in several mid-2017 posts that people have paid around $250 a piece. Which is pricey, but workable. However, I am unable to find the latest spec (order # 52123739AF) for less than $550 a pop. That's a 100% price hike in 9 months! Over $1K for two OEM front shafts for a mid-range SUV is insane.

So my simple question is: Is there a place to get them at a more humane price?
Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Try a parts store. No clue what they would have tho. Rockauto lists Mopar for $537, but there is a $50 core on top of that.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:52 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience...

Parts stores aren't really an option. I think. I doubt they are cheaper for the real thing and I don't want Chinese knockoffs, if they even exist. The OEMs are bad enough!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2016
Engine: 3.2L

Nothing but OEM available. In Canada it costs $837 including labor in replace a front CV Axle if its not covered under warranty. I've had 3 replaced under warranty do far.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by KL14
Just got a new-to-me 2014 Trailhawk in need of new front half-shafts.

I've seen in several mid-2017 posts that people have paid around $250 a piece. Which is pricey, but workable. However, I am unable to find the latest spec (order # 52123739AF) for less than $550 a pop. That's a 100% price hike in 9 months! Over $1K for two OEM front shafts for a mid-range SUV is insane.

So my simple question is: Is there a place to get them at a more humane price?
How many miles? I can't believe a four year old car needs half shafts already. What's wrong with them? The boots bust? If so, is it possible just to replace them? This is why when I have a vehicle with independent suspension and change the oil I check those boots. I realize you bought it used, but checking them before purchase is pretty wise too.

Originally Posted by KL14
Yeah, that's pretty much my experience...

Parts stores aren't really an option. I think. I doubt they are cheaper for the real thing and I don't want Chinese knockoffs, if they even exist. The OEMs are bad enough!
If OEMs aren't lasting, I doubt the Chinese knockoffs would be much worse. Labor might be another story, but if you do them yourself and get a "lifetime warranty" part from a parts store, that's the end of that.

Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68
Nothing but OEM available. In Canada it costs $837 including labor in replace a front CV Axle if its not covered under warranty. I've had 3 replaced under warranty do far.
Is this a common thing with these Cherokees? WTF?

Last edited by robertj; 04-12-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by robertj
How many miles? I can't believe a four year old car needs half shafts already. What's wrong with them? The boots bust? If so, is it possible just to replace them? This is why when I have a vehicle with independent suspension and change the oil I check those boots. I realize you bought it used, but checking them before purchase is pretty wise too.
Yeah, the left side boot is bust. And from what I understand those are not serviceable parts, the only way to fix is to replace the whole shaft. Besides, I don't have any experience changing shaft boots, but it doesn't look too difficult swapping the whole part.

If OEMs aren't lasting, I doubt the Chinese knockoffs would be much worse. Labor might be another story, but if you do them yourself and get a "lifetime warranty" part from a parts store, that's the end of that.

I only know what I've read on various forums, but from that it seems to at least not be an uncommon issue. Some have had theirs replace multiple times under warranty. And it appears to me like MOPAR is now jacking up the price, just as the highest mileage vehicles have run out of warranty. Not nice if that's the case. Not nice at all.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2016
Engine: 3.2L

1 Was my fault, tore it offroad but they replaced it anyways. The other 2 ahd small nicks in them and then started leaking grease. it's not an overly common thing to have happen I just seem to have bad luck. In Theory RCV axles is said to be making a set of axles but they are extremely expensive, coupled with the fact that the weak link isn't the axles but the rear end it wouldn't make them a very good buy