KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestik anyenna mount for KL

Old 04-28-2019, 01:23 PM

Year: 2019
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 3.2L
Default Firestik anyenna mount for KL

So I started with a 2014 KL Trailhawk, then moved to a JKU ****** on which I installed a Cobra C75 WX ST handheld CB radio. Now I'm back with a nice new KL Cherokee Trailhawk Elite which I do intend to stop with and keep. I took the CB from the JKU before selling and I've already done a clean install of the handset, used a ProClip USA vent mounting and tapped into the centre floor console cigarette power outlet. See photos below. Now I have the challenge of how to mount the antenna. I've come up with two approaches and would like some input from the membership on what seems the most logical and practical.

#1 - Remove driver side rear tail light cluster to drill into the metal panel behind and use self-tapping screws to secure mounting plate which may have to be fabricated to accommodate some interesting angles (See photo's with example paper template bracket). Replace cluster and run coax through the cabin into the trunk and out between the tailgate seals.

#2 - Use side panel mounting bolt under the hood to secure cranked bracket (See photo's with example paper template bracket). Cable would really need to be routing into the engine compartment although it could be slung out of the door similar to the approach for the rear mounting.

I've seen a few other options which I don't think will work for me - I don't have any other aftermarket installed bracketry nor do I want to cut any holes (Ex in the rear bumper) large enough to mount a bracket on the body framework and then protrude out far enough for the antenna connection. I have a feel mounting under the hood would be the easiest, certainly, the bracket would be simpler, I may even be able to use a stock firestick bracket rather than need something to be fabricated.

Suggestions and comments are welcome, please.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TB1vshybfiWfDZas6

Cobra 75 WX Installed and mounted

Cobra 75 WX Installed and mounted

Vent mounted Pro Clip USA Cobra mounting

Rear driver side light cluster removed

Scale for illustration purposes

Approximate location for custom bracket

1. Example paper bracket template

2. Example paper bracket template

3. Example paper bracket template

Potential front location for bracket location using panel bolts to secure.

1. Example paper bracket template fro front location

Firestik connection on original JKU bracket
Old 04-30-2019, 02:20 PM

Model: Cherokee

I use a magnetic lil' will antenna on the roof if I'm on long highway drives but I have to take it down before I drive into the garage, I like the idea of mounting a permanent one at the taillight, easy to run the wire as well.