KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

am i crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark
Default am i crazy?

when i was off roading , i noticed my GPS system had trails marked when off of the highway... anyone else notice this? i recorded some some trails on the nav system .. not sure if that gets loaded into the system...

anyone have insight on this?
i thought it was effin cool..
Old 10-15-2014, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

you weren't really off roading. Most trails have a county road number or a forest service road number assigned to them.

If it has a number, it's going to be on a map. If it's on a map it will also be on your GPS.

Last edited by SeriousOffroad; 10-15-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
you work really off roading. Most trails have a county road number or a forest service road number assigned to them.

if it has a number, it's going to be on a map. If it's on a map it will also be on your GPS.
wurd.. that makes sense.. im not thinking outside the box today..thanks.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:47 PM

you weren't really off roading. Most trails have a county road number or a forest service road number assigned to them.

If it has a number, it's going to be on a map. If it's on a map it will also be on your GPS.
woa slow yer internet know it all roll hoss.. "i wasnt really off roading?" wtf was that? yo?
here we go again! really?? I have never seen so many people that think they are the ONLY PEOPLE that go off road in a jeep..

I do Believe PINE MOUNTAIN IS AN OFF ROAD TRAIL... Google EARTH IT.. actually.. its not really fit for a vehicle.. ATVs and Horses mostly.
At the end of Cutters Creek Rd Clintwood Virginia.. 24228 is the postal code. Dickenson County Virginia..
the trail is marked some power lines intersect the trail..
i would so invite you to go.. but as always the ones who talk smack are across the country.. I am also waiting for someone with an XJ Up Country to take on the 4 banger KL.. so far all i hear is talk..

Last edited by metalwonzero; 10-15-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You really need to back up and take a breath.

You asked a question and I gave you a legit answer.
No one bashed you or said you weren't out 4 wheeling.

You were in fact on "a road", that's why your GPS indicated as such. Happens here in Colorado too. We've got tons of trails that we drive on that are infact county and forest service or county roads.....it doesn't matter what you call it, it's still wheelin'/muddin'/jeepin'/off-roadin'.

Relax, you're amongst friends here.

Last edited by SeriousOffroad; 10-15-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:25 AM

You really need to back up and take a breath.

You asked a question and I gave you a legit answer.
No one bashed you or said you weren't out 4 wheeling.

You were in fact on "a road", that's why your GPS indicated as such. Happens here in Colorado too. We've got tons of trails that we drive on that are infact county and forest service or county roads.....it doesn't matter what you call it, it's still wheelin'/muddin'/jeepin'/off-roadin'.

Relax, you're amongst friends here.
i drive in my yard.. but it aint a road.. it is what it is.. its a trail.
Attached Thumbnails am i crazy?-trail.jpg  
Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
i drive in my yard.. but it aint a road.. it is what it is.. its a trail.
if you can see the little red line i scribbled in with Paint.. that is where the the back road ends and trail starts.. and it starts their is no happy medium about leaving the paved road.. when you hit it.. the action starts immediately.. Its not a road dude.. minus the power lines.. the trail crosses that access road.. and you can see clearly where it hits the power lines and where it leaves.. its a goat path.. lol..
So tell me.. does that look like a road ? not to me.. their are many trails up in here.. but all ROUGH! im surprised my KL made it.. because.. my XJ an JK did not.. JK was too big.. and i say again.. im one of the few thats taken a vehicle up it n a long time.. and THE FIRST TO CONQUER IT IN A 2014 TRAILHAWK wurd...
Old 10-16-2014, 02:42 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Sorry to say but a kl won't make it half the places my xj will.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:22 AM

Year: 1998, 1997
Engine: 4.0 6Cyl, 4.0 6Cyl

OP needs to chill, wow
Old 10-16-2014, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
Sorry to say but a kl won't make it half the places my xj will.
One way to find out! im looking for someone here in east tn ,swva,nc.. somone kinda closer than across america to meet me at WINDROCK park.. in Oliver Springs TN..
someone that has the UP Country XJ that came stock with skids and lockers..
if your running after market it would be kinda silly to pit a stock ride against someones custom machine..
I jeep.. and the KL is awsome.. the 4:56:1 gear ratio says its a lil beast!
hey im not selling anything to anyone..
BUT I WILL TAKE A CHALLENGE friendly of course.. just to find out which is best.. old...or new..? did all the technology make the Cherokee better? or worse?
i wanna find out.. do you?
I fully understand its an ego thing when it comes to jeeping and whos is bigger and all that.. i had my XJ in europe, and hit some mean mountains in bavaria along the CZEK and Austrian borders.. the ALPS Foothills.. it did great! with MTX goodyears i have raised the front wheels up a foot or more going up strip mines highwalls.. etc etc.. i push the vehicle i drive to the limits.. i know no other way.. but the offer stands to anyone.. Meet me at windrock offroad park in oliver springs tennessee with a stock xj with the Up Country package.. because its the top notch XJ.. and go until one cant.. and see if the other can.. toooo easy!!!
may i add... my 4 banger KL would eat any XJ in a road race also.. did that yesterday at a redlight.. and dont even try to keep up on a curvy road... the active drive 2 system is awesome.. i pissed off a guy in a v6 firebird one day.. dude rolled up on me so i left him in the curves.. im talking an 8th of a mile in 3 miles distance.. i smoked him.. and i used to burn camaros out the hole also up to about 45 50 in the 96 ..so that spirit is still alive in the KL..

Last edited by metalwonzero; 10-16-2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by KrayXJ77
OP needs to chill, wow
lol.. why.. were good. and Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Last edited by metalwonzero; 10-16-2014 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Mine is way beyond stock but I've seen stock xjs make it up some crazy stuff. I'm just partial to the pre 2002 (or whenever they stopped rating them) jeeps when they were still rated for the Rubicon trail. Now they have fugly 4 door wranglers and fwd 4 banger Cherokees. Each their own I guess.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
Mine is way beyond stock but I've seen stock xjs make it up some crazy stuff. I'm just partial to the pre 2002 (or whenever they stopped rating them) jeeps when they were still rated for the Rubicon trail. Now they have fugly 4 door wranglers and fwd 4 banger Cherokees. Each their own I guess.
yes i agree.. 100 percent.. MY XJ was a beast in its own right.. but this KL is also..
so far what ive seen that is a drastic improvement is the suspension.. you know when you get in rough places and the suspension kinda binds on ya and bucks ya kinda back? hard to explain.. well the KL just kinda raises a tire upin the air and goes.. its very very well balanced.. and lacks body roll.. very stable platform..
like i said.. i love an XJ.. but a stock xj with no lockers aint got a chance.. it would be hard for a stock rubicon to leave me on a trail.. it would have to be one heck of an obstacle.. DEEP MUD is yet to be tested.. as i stated in other posts.. so all i can do on here is give yall an honest heads up about what it will and wont do..
the 4 banger KL + water = hydrolock... dont dunk the nose! trust me on this.. the 4 banger has a ram air intake with nothing to stop or deter water from rolling up the face of the radiator and straight into the air intake. v6 models are not like this.. MY ONLY BIG BIG COMPLAINT.
also..it has surpassed my expectations.. i was skeptical about what i bought... because i traded a sweeet JKsahara in on it.. it was breaking my back! lol.. im retired early in life for a reason or 2.. so i had to get something a lil smoother.. it rides nice... on and off road.. Sports mode is ignert! love it!
I do need rock rails .. that cheap plastic crap got ripped off on the trail & it looks better with out it.. and i scratched it up pretty good on the doors. so.. im lay a coat of rhino liner on it.. probably after the new year..
and my lil 4 banger dont come alive until you hit 3600 on the rpms.. then that tigershark rocks!

Last edited by metalwonzero; 10-16-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:15 PM

Year: 1998, 1997
Engine: 4.0 6Cyl, 4.0 6Cyl

Originally Posted by metalwonzero

lol.. why.. were good. and Oh but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!
Haha we are the knights who say, ni!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

Some of the best trails are unmaintained county roads

Quick Reply: am i crazy?