KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

AD1 vs AD2 - huge difference in off road capability?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default AD1 vs AD2 - huge difference in off road capability?

Hey all!

I'm getting a 2019 lat+ this week but have ran into a bit of an issue. Due to my trade in and financing reasons I have to get one this week and can't for one of their vehicles in transit.

The dealer just sold their last AD2 lat so I'm stuck AD1 or nothing (which doesn't seem like a good option LOL). Anyway, I don't trust what the dealer said because they tried telling me multiple times that the AD2 was LITERALLY nothing more than a neutral setting to allow for flat towing. I had to actually let them know that it has a lower gearing ratio and allows for lower gears in 4WD.... The fun if being a female at a dealership where everyone thinks you have no clue about anything....ugh.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there is a huge difference in capability without having the AD2 system? For reference, I'm coming from a lifted 4runner that I drove for 7 years. I didn't do anything too crazy for the most part - but I definitely had my moments since I had the ability whenever I'd be out off roading. I did enjoy the fact that I could tow when I needed to and rescued my husband quite a few times by pulling him out when he'd get stuck in his either his Dakota or most recently, his f250. I towed that thing full deadweight with the 4runner out of the snowy woods and then about 60 miles home.
I was spending about $650/mo in gas so decided to try and be a grown up 😂 so i sold the 4runner a few months ago and was shopping for a 4x4 that had good mpg but that wasn't a hybrid. I was misled by a salesman that there were no small SUVs that had a true 4wd system anymore aside from the trail hawk which I loved but had to say no due to the mpg. Anyway, I ended up in a friggin Mazda CX-5 and am now trading it in for the latitude plus. I can't stand the purely auto AWD system in the snow and hate that I feel like I'm in a car. Last week I found out that the Cherokee's actually do have the ability to be manually put into 4wd (although I still am not fond of the RDM system) so as soon as I found out, I knew I had to jump at the end of the year sales. But everyone had the same plan and the crazy awesome rebates are only offered on the new models on the lot to make room for the new years inventory....
Anyway, if I tone my down my off roading, I just want to know I'll be able to still have a good time and not worry about getting stuck super easily or lose the option to follow my buddies out and moderate desert/mountain terrain out here in Central Oregon. Oh! Also the dealer is talking with the shop to see if they can do a levelling kit OR larger more aggressive tires (that they claim will give me about 2" additional of height) at no cost since they don't have the AD2 available. However, the service dept hasn't been able to find a levelling kit yet for the 2019 models I think he said so I believe it will just be getting more aggressive all terrain tires which is fine with me!
​​​​​​
sorry so long -- I guess this doubled as my intro since I just gave you my life story. But thanks in advance for any insight! I'm excited either way and so ready to be out of this damn Mazda !

-Danielle