KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

2014 jeep Cherokee north, how to remove interior hatch trim to get to the sub

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2014 jeep Cherokee north, how to remove interior hatch trim to get to the sub

I don't know how to remove the upper plastic of the interior trim in the hatch around the window. I get to that point easily, but at the pillar behind the rear passenger seat there's a spot of trim that won't seem to let go and come off without breaking. It's anchored tightly behind the airbag symbol and I'm scared that it is an airbag and I'll set it off by giving too much force. Everything else on that panel pops off with relative ease and that point is all that stumps me. Am I missing something I'm supposed to do?
Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

There shouldn't be an airbag behind the rear seats, just in the rear door windows and maybe the rear bench seat (though I doubt it)... just a question though: Why do you want to replace the factory sub? The Alpine sound system is excellent for a stock setup. Once you get to the sub, you'll have a really hard time getting any aftermarket sub to fit in the stock enclosure, and even then the stock sub has a low OHM rating, and most aftermarket subs are 2-4 OHMS, which means that you won't get the same volume out of an aftermarket sub as you will the stock one... you'll also have to most likely replace the stock amp, because it only sends a small amount of power to the stock sub, and aftermarket subs generally require more power to operate efficiently.

In regards to the 'Airbag' symbol, are you sure it's not a symbol for a child seat anchor (the LATCH system)? That's where your supposed to anchor a child seat to to make sure it's properly installed.

Last edited by 94zj318; 11-19-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:56 PM

The stock sub sucks. Not too sure what's to rave about it, this of course coming from my other truck having four subs In it. I already have all the required equipment, just having trouble removing the Damned interior plastics. See, I'm unplugging the stock sub only, but tapping into their signal for my line output converter ( used so I can retain using the stock touchscreen receiver) as it's a clearer signal than the rear door speakers. But it's hard to tap into the wires with the panel still in my way. Already ran all my other wires needed for the system. Just need to set this connection up properly, and have the proper access to do so
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

Hmmm... we have a 2014 WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited with the factory Alpine system and the stock sub and it actually sounds great. But of course you probably had aftermarket subs in your previous vehicle, so obviously aftermarket subs have better bass response. If you're going to add a new sub, I'd disconnect the factory one, leave it intact, and then just put the new sub behind the rear seats.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by 94zj318
Hmmm... we have a 2014 WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited with the factory ByByAlpineAlpine system and the stock sub and it actually sounds great. But of course you probably had aftermarket subs in your previous vehicle, so obviously aftermarket subs have better bass response. If you're going to add a new sub, I'd disconnect the factory one, leave it intact, and then just put the new sub behind the rear seats.

..... Okay, as I explained, that is exactly what I'm doing. This post is purely in reference to the plastics. Everything else I've got all planned. Thanks for your input though, but as far as audio configurations go, it's already planned purchased and for the most part, wired.