KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

'15 Cherokee Software Update Screwed Up Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2015 Trailhawk
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.2L V6
Default '15 Cherokee Software Update Screwed Up Radio

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the latest software update affecting their Cherokee Infotainment system?

I've never had a problem with doing the software updates myself. But after doing the latest update, my radio has garnered a mind of it's own.

Basically, what seems to be affected is the volume control. The radio will be on according to the screen. But there is no volume. If I spin the volume **** up and down, the volume display bar will show that it's working, but there's no volume.

Also, if I push the Mute button, the display doesn't know that Mute is being turned on or off.

In some cases, minutes later, all of a sudden the system (FM, XM, iPod) will be heard, and the volume will increase and decrease itself up and down ... corresponding to what I had done with the **** previously. Also, the mute will activate and deactivate as I had done with it previously.

The first time this happened, the volume went all the way up to Max (because I had spun the **** up and down a bunch) and then went down and back up. It's as if the system remembers all the ways I'd spun the **** and has all of a sudden caught up with the commands. The only way I could kill the maxed-out volume was to turn off the car and open the drivers door. I started the car back up and everything was fine now.

Then the radio might work perfectly for days.

Yesterday I got in to take a trip, and again, no volume. It "appears" on the display that everything is working (except the Mute button doesn't visually work). But there is no audio ... FM/AM radio, iPod, XM ... nothing.

I turned the car off and on 3 times. That did nothing.

Then I opened the drivers door, and restarted the car. Now I have audio again.

I've tried re-updating the software a second time, and the intermittent volume and mute control problems remains.

This problem has ONLY happened since the latest software update. Anyone else having similar problems?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Have you tried rebooting the uConnect when it does this? I find this fixes a lot of irritating issues like that.

When it's acting up, just press and hold the circular volume and tune buttons for about ten seconds (you can safely do this while driving). The system will reboot, and generally for me all the weirdness goes away for quite a while.

I do this on the rare times the nav system locks up or the USB media player refuses to play any mp3 songs. Seems to work reliably. I hope it helps your situation.