XJ 2-Door from Spain

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 2.5 TD
Default XJ 2-Door from Spain

Recently I picked up a one owner Cherokee XJ 2 Door, from 1999, with the 2.5 turbodiesel. It has 270k miles, engine runs great, the heads have been rebuilt and has no issues. Purple exterior, beige interior!

Despite its good condition it needs some love. Sagging drivers door for example.... I was a Toyota guy, dont know nothing about jeeps, so a lot to learn from here.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Welcome.
I am going to want to see all sorts of shots of this. Interior, engine compartment, underneath, back, etc.
I like to see how European versions differ from US ones.
And while I have looked at a fair amount of pictures of European ones not many, if any diesels, and no 2 door ones.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Welcome.
I am going to want to see all sorts of shots of this. Interior, engine compartment, underneath, back, etc.
I like to see how European versions differ from US ones.
And while I have looked at a fair amount of pictures of European ones not many, if any diesels, and no 2 door ones.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WXC...ew?usp=sharing

Here you have a quick video, as soon as I give it a wash, I will post some photos.

If you can help me, I am planing on instaling (from a donor car), Cruise control, electric windows (i have to change also the door panels) and a new stereo sistem, but i like the factory look, maybe one with the infinity amp?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lagulagunation
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WXC...ew?usp=sharing

Here you have a quick video, as soon as I give it a wash, I will post some photos.

If you can help me, I am planing on instaling (from a donor car), Cruise control, electric windows (i have to change also the door panels) and a new stereo sistem, but i like the factory look, maybe one with the infinity amp?
That video was awesome.
So few things I expected. European tail lights with the rear fog lights. Saw a 3 bezel switch and did not see front fogs so going to assume wiper, rear defogger, and the rear fogs. The little side light on the front quarters.
The rear headrests in the back seat was expected. I am going to try to duplicate that in my '00. They don't come like that here. Was kinda surprised to see removable headrest front seats in a model with manual windows.
But then it would look funny with removable headrest in the rear seat and the one piece buckets that some US versions come with up front. Now I am wondering if I ever have seen one piece buckets in a European version.
I am familiar with the dash light pertaining to the diesel on the dash. For a gas version that is just dead space.
I am thinking I have never seen a diesel engine compartment. I would like to think I would remember how different everything is configured in there to accommodate the diesel.
I like the hood mat in the engine compartment. I have seen them in '96 down US XJ's but never seen one in a '97 and up one. They are listed in the '97 and up parts catalogs. Just never seen one.
Couple things that surprised me. The little triangles on the front doors by the mirror. They are always Agate in the '99 and up US versions. Even when you I have the 2 tone Camel interior.
What I have in my '00. '97 and '98's they are not but also technically the color in those is not Camel but Saddle. And there is a difference.
The one big thing. A retractable cargo cover in a '99. Have to wonder if they came like that in European versions. Cause in the US they only came in '96 and down. In '97 and up it is a cheesy tarp. See mine below.

So do you have a donor car? If so what year, 2 dr or 4 dr, etc?
Cruise control is a piece of cake on a gas automatic US version. No idea if it is even option in a stick version. Also it runs on vacuum. Do diesel engines produce vacuum? Kind of under the impression they really don't. But I know squat about diesels. I am not sure if this could be done.
Electric doors. As best I can tell they don't have separate door shells for power and manual windows. So I am going to assume all the mounting points for power window regulators are there. Also the glass appears not to matter. Electric 2dr and 4dr window regulators do appear to be different.
Where I kind of see a problem is getting Camel 2 dr electric window door panels. In the US, while not rare, Camel interiors are seen less. And that is 4dr versions.Those could be a tough find.
Then there is the wiring. Doors have little harnesses connected to a bigger main harness but whether it is plug and play not a clue.
Also shipping would probably be crazy but I am almost positive that there is somebody on this site who would love to get their hands on those manual panels. I just can't remember who. Hopefully they will see this thread.
Last would be the Infinity System. I want to do this myself. But it is not plug and play. As a matter of fact in a 4dr US version it looks like a harness that starts on the driver's side in the cargo area and runs all the way up front would have to be installed.
And that is if you could find one. Good news is if you can get the Infinity Tweeters the wires to hook them up are there. At least in US versions. A better factory radio, cassette/CD, in a similar looking style is plug and play. Infinity speakers are different then regular ones.
Truth be told you are just probably better off installing some aftermarket system. Or better speakers, if you can get the tweeters, and an amp.

So disclaimer time. Everything I wrote is what I think I know. I looked at my parts catalogs to determine somethings. Thing is how have know idea how these correspond to European versions. You need to research stuff, ask question and most importantly take what I said with a grain of salt.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yeah Ralph. That ll be me. Except I'm looking for a 4 door version of manual camel door panels.

The mounting points for the power and manual regulators are all there.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Yeah Ralph. That ll be me. Except I'm looking for a 4 door version of manual camel door panels.
The mounting points for the power and manual regulators are all there.
OK. I don't why I had it my head it was a 2dr. I promise I will remember now and be in touch if I find some. LOL. Again thinking that is not going to be an easy one.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:37 AM

Spoiler

If you want anything specific I cand send it you you, no problem. I have seen at junkyards manual diesels with cruise control.... i have to do some research but it is possible. The head unit thing.. i thought was almost plug and play. Electric window conversion.... if i find a donor car, i might be able to pull it off. This car was manufactured in 1998, but arrived in Spain in Januray 1999.

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...FJN7M8WL253310

here you have all the equipment.

The good thing is that it has a perfectly good A/C!

In Spain, finding a good and cheap 2door is dificult. And those who have one, keep it... Nice examples will cost you in Spain arround 4500$, all of them stock.

Last edited by Lagulagunation; 01-19-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

If you want anything specific I cand send it you you, no problem. I have seen at junkyards manual diesels with cruise control.... i have to do some research but it is possible. The head unit thing.. i thought was almost plug and play. Electric window conversion.... if i find a donor car, i might be able to pull it off. This car was manufactured in 1998, but arrived in Spain in Januray 1999.

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...FJN7M8WL253310

here you have all the equipment.

The good thing is that it has a perfectly good A/C!
I don't know why but having seen a European Diesel XJ build sheet makes me happy.

Remember what I said about the tweeters? Well now I wonder. I am noticing it looks like you don't have power mirrors. Saw it on the build sheet first and then rewatched the video. Removing the door panel is easy enough and should be right there to tell.
It lists the hood insulation on the build sheet.
I see heavy duty suspension and no rear sway bar. Wonder if that makes it a European Version of an Up Country. That is cool. In the US a build sheet would say it. At least the one and only one I have seen for a '99.
Forgot they have headlight leveling over there. Could not see it in the video but saw it on the build sheet.
Power antenna. Nice.
Not seeing, but could be missing it, the cargo cover on the build sheet. Maybe it falls under some of those general items. Like European Equipment Group.

You will have to forgive me about my excitement. I own a '00 Cherokee Sport. With what I think are the normal options that they come with. It was supposed to be a little refresh and that was it. Then I came around here for some insight into basic repairs. Saw what other guys were doing to their Jeeps. All the factory options mind did not come with. So somehow I got it in my head to build this Limited/Country/Up Country/European Orvis Clone. Well your Jeep helps me do the last one.

If shipping would not crazy there are a few things I would not mind getting that I am not sure I could get here.
First on the list is a rear headrest seat with the headrests. Thinking all I need is the upper half. But can you imagine trying to get that here. And find one in a Camel.
Power antenna is something I would do if the opportunity presented itself. In XJ's seems to be more a European thing. Not even sure if you could put one in. Wonder if it would be plug and play. That might not be too bad. I haven't really researched it yet but it appears they might have used the same antenna on other cars here in the states. so I might be able to at least get one to see if I could pull it off.
Headlight leveling would be cool just to have. Again just a European thing. I have done some poking around about this. There are quite a few pieces to this and electrically doubt it would be plug and play.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me on some things. The more you know........
Old 01-19-2019, 10:34 AM

I don't know why but having seen a European Diesel XJ build sheet makes me happy.

Remember what I said about the tweeters? Well now I wonder. I am noticing it looks like you don't have power mirrors. Saw it on the build sheet first and then rewatched the video. Removing the door panel is easy enough and should be right there to tell.
It lists the hood insulation on the build sheet.
I see heavy duty suspension and no rear sway bar. Wonder if that makes it a European Version of an Up Country. That is cool. In the US a build sheet would say it. At least the one and only one I have seen for a '99.
Forgot they have headlight leveling over there. Could not see it in the video but saw it on the build sheet.
Power antenna. Nice.
Not seeing, but could be missing it, the cargo cover on the build sheet. Maybe it falls under some of those general items. Like European Equipment Group.

You will have to forgive me about my excitement. I own a '00 Cherokee Sport. With what I think are the normal options that they come with. It was supposed to be a little refresh and that was it. Then I came around here for some insight into basic repairs. Saw what other guys were doing to their Jeeps. All the factory options mind did not come with. So somehow I got it in my head to build this Limited/Country/Up Country/European Orvis Clone. Well your Jeep helps me do the last one.

If shipping would not crazy there are a few things I would not mind getting that I am not sure I could get here.
First on the list is a rear headrest seat with the headrests. Thinking all I need is the upper half. But can you imagine trying to get that here. And find one in a Camel.
Power antenna is something I would do if the opportunity presented itself. In XJ's seems to be more a European thing. Not even sure if you could put one in. Wonder if it would be plug and play. That might not be too bad. I haven't really researched it yet but it appears they might have used the same antenna on other cars here in the states. so I might be able to at least get one to see if I could pull it off.
Headlight leveling would be cool just to have. Again just a European thing. I have done some poking around about this. There are quite a few pieces to this and electrically doubt it would be plug and play.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me on some things. The more you know........

Yes! That is right! Manual windows, Manual mirrors, and no power locks. Very Basic 2 door. Power antenna is a cool touch, but it always breaks. I do not know where the heavy duty suspension is, the rear is a bit soft..... The headlight level is just under the cigarette lighter!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:51 AM

The more you know........
....The better

Do you have a parts catalog to look for parts? For example like Realoem for BMW? ....

Old 01-19-2019, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

....The better

Do you have a parts catalog to look for parts? For example like Realoem for BMW? ....
I have a copy of every XJ parts catalog, real Jeep ones, from '84 to '01.

https://xjjeeps.com/

Lacking on some things European though. Sometimes indicated but not usually.

Look at the Owner's Manual in Spanish. LOL.

I watched your video again and noticed that you are missing the mounting points for the cargo cover at the rear of the Jeep.
Now this is from a '94 to '96 parts catalog. So I can't answer about the color. But the illustration will give you an idea of what they look like. #'s 2 and 3.

Your heavy duty suspension consists of HD leaf spring, coils, and I want to say shocks. Now if it is a European Version of an Up Country suspension it sit about 1 1/2" higher then a stock one from the factory. And my understanding is that Up Country ones don't come with rear sway bars. And your build sheet says it does not. So.....
Old 01-19-2019, 12:14 PM

Talking

I have a copy of every XJ parts catalog, real Jeep ones, from '84 to '01.

https://xjjeeps.com/

Lacking on some things European though. Sometimes indicated but not usually.

Look at the Owner's Manual in Spanish. LOL.

I watched your video again and noticed that you are missing the mounting points for the cargo cover at the rear of the Jeep.
Now this is from a '94 to '96 parts catalog. So I can't answer about the color. But the illustration will give you an idea of what they look like. #'s 2 and 3.

Your heavy duty suspension consists of HD leaf spring, coils, and I want to say shocks. Now if it is a European Version of an Up Country suspension it sit about 1 1/2" higher then a stock one from the factory. And my understanding is that Up Country ones don't come with rear sway bars. And your build sheet says it does not. So.....
Thanks for all the info. I do have a factory mount on the driver side. Passenger is missing. As for trivia, in the Spanish Manual says:

"Thanks for choosing one of our popular Jeep products. Be sure that this model represents precision quality fabrication, distinct style, and quality that caracterizes Jeep Vehicles"
later on....

"When using your vehicle straight trough fields, do not try to break nature laws"

Is it the same on US jeeps?

Last edited by Lagulagunation; 01-19-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for all the info. I do have a factory mount on the driver side. Passenger is missing. As for trivia, in the Spanish Manual says:

"Thanks for choosing one of our popular Jeep products. Be sure that this model represents precision quality fabrication, distinct style, and quality that caracterizes Jeep Vehicles"
later on....

"When using your vehicle straight trough fields, do not try to break nature laws"

Is it the same on US jeeps?
LOL. Never really read mine. I think I might have looked in there once to find a fuse location. Plus I only have the one book. Not 3 like you. Does say owners manual and did come with the Jeep. I am the third owner.

You are also going to be looking for #4 too in the diagram for the cargo cover. I am going to assume that #6 is behind the plastic. My thinking is that it is just a support for #4.