Where have I been?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Default Where have I been?

I have just been asked by the forum management as to where I've been. First off let me say its nice to see that somewhere someone missed me.

Well its like this, I ran into a re-occurring electrical problem with the Cherokee. First noticed it when I bought it about a year and a half ago, that the dome light developed a mind of its own and just came on by itself and drew the battery down, I thought the problem had to be in the door on-off button, ordered two of them, tore into the job and found a mystery, none of the 3 wires were marked and neither was the new switch, nor was the switches connector plug or the wiring plug, it just pulled apart and then I realized that I would have no way of knowing how the new switch should be plugged together with the wiring plug. I plugged it in several times, without satisfactory results, so I just took the bulb out. About 2 weeks later, I noticed that the radio didn't work right and when I turned the car off all the programed stations would disappear like I had removed the radio from the car and re-installed it, oh well, a few days later I noticed the gas gauge didn't work any more, the next day none of the instrument cluster gauges or lights worked, all I had left was the headlights and tail lights.

Well with deer season opening in two days, Oct. 1st. I let the whole thing go, after all, Its deer season it northern lower Michigan, kind of like Thanks-giving that lasts for 2 months, so I just used the Jeep the way it was, I figured that to get into resolving the problem, I'd have to put it into the garage and displace my diesel truck and or the wife's car for however long it would take to tear into the electrical system of the jeep, I decided against that, because we go down to San Antonio TX for the winter, Dec 1st to April 1st, so that's where it stands right now, so when I get back in the spring and if I can control my temper I will try to fix it. I figure I'll have to tear a large hunk of the dash board out to get into the wiring, wish me luck. Bye the way, electricity is my bag, I've been a licensed Master Electrician for 45 years.

Wagoosh
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome back.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Maybe you have a bad ground somewhere in the system. As easy as that is, it's still a nightmare. Good luck when you return home!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

welcome back