Want To Buy a Cherokee - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Smile Want To Buy a Cherokee - Need Advice

Hello everyone!

My name is Mike and I am brand new to the forums.

I am looking at buying a Cherokee and a 2nd/winter car.

My current car is a 1995 BMW E34 540i automatic with 113k miles.

I am a very active forum member in the Bimmerforum.com E34 section. Several members there have or have had XJ Cherokees and they generally recommended.

I have started looking at Cherokees but I was wondering what the prefered years, options, equipment are.

Styling wise I prefer the '91's - '96's. I am looking to spend under $3,000 and buy one with under 150,000 miles.

Any and all help, comments, and suggestions would me much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Good thing I found you...I know a guy in my area (Minersville, PA...it's a bit of a drive but most likely worth it) who sells Jeeps like no tomorrow. He can set you up with any year, mileage, and price range that you require. He usually only has newer ones but every now and then he'll get an old one (within your year range) that gets bought within days. He can get you one with about 120k miles for about 3000-3500. If you would like to pay more though you can get a '00-'01 for about 7500 with only 70-80k miles on it. But if you want more info contact me or just reply to your thread...doesn't matter

Edit: he sells almost all (actually, I think it's all) of his vehicles on eBay.com so if you want you can buy it right off of eBay...but I don't know if the vehicle gets shipped or if you have to pick it up but it's still better than having to drive all the way down here...not find what you like and drive back
Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Hello jbondbmw thats a nice e34 you have I use to have an e28 and my brother has a e24. Welcome to the forum. As for the cherokee package I prefer is the sport package with manual windows and locks. I currently have a 93 cherokee with poer windows and locks and I hate them, the whay they did the switches pre 97 was just stupid and the clips that hold the switches in place brake easil, I had to zip tie mine in place. Anyways good luck on finding your self a cherokee and look out for how much rust is on it.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

I personally perfer the newer models just because of styling and interior eminities; however, a bunch of electrical crap can get in the way so if you don't care much about power windows and door locks then I'd definantly go without it. That's really going to be the main difference between years besides like different axles and some small stuff like that. Definantly find one with the inline 6 cylindar because it's a bullit proof engine and you will prob want 4x4 as well. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Griff94
Good thing I found you...I know a guy in my area (Minersville, PA...it's a bit of a drive but most likely worth it) who sells Jeeps like no tomorrow. He can set you up with any year, mileage, and price range that you require. He usually only has newer ones but every now and then he'll get an old one (within your year range) that gets bought within days. He can get you one with about 120k miles for about 3000-3500. If you would like to pay more though you can get a '00-'01 for about 7500 with only 70-80k miles on it. But if you want more info contact me or just reply to your thread...doesn't matter

Edit: he sells almost all (actually, I think it's all) of his vehicles on eBay.com so if you want you can buy it right off of eBay...but I don't know if the vehicle gets shipped or if you have to pick it up but it's still better than having to drive all the way down here...not find what you like and drive back
Thanks for the info. Yea, I really don't want to put more than three grand. Seven grand it way out of my price range.

What is the sellers username on Ebay?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by SHANE 87
Hello jbondbmw thats a nice e34 you have I use to have an e28 and my brother has a e24. Welcome to the forum. As for the cherokee package I prefer is the sport package with manual windows and locks. I currently have a 93 cherokee with poer windows and locks and I hate them, the whay they did the switches pre 97 was just stupid and the clips that hold the switches in place brake easil, I had to zip tie mine in place. Anyways good luck on finding your self a cherokee and look out for how much rust is on it.
Nice to meet another BMW guy!
Old 08-13-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
I personally perfer the newer models just because of styling and interior eminities; however, a bunch of electrical crap can get in the way so if you don't care much about power windows and door locks then I'd definantly go without it. That's really going to be the main difference between years besides like different axles and some small stuff like that. Definantly find one with the inline 6 cylindar because it's a bullit proof engine and you will prob want 4x4 as well. Good luck!
Yea, I have to have the 4 liter and 4x4. I also have to have the gauge cluster with a tach.

Are the older motors more reliable? I think I remember reading that the later models (after 98?) have an aluminum cylinder head and that caused problems.

I would prefer powers windows and locks, but they are not must haves. If they give problems, than it is best to avoid them.

How are the A/C systems in these trucks? I would prefer A/C if it is reliable.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

It's not that the power windows and doors cause problems, it's just that they usually break in the door boot but can easily be fixed. I can't tell you anything about the aluminium cylinder heads, but my 98 sport had 205k and runs great haven't had any major problems in the year I've owned it. Also I haven't heard much about ac but mine works fine though I usually just roll the windows down.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jbondbmw
Yea, I have to have the 4 liter and 4x4. I also have to have the gauge cluster with a tach.

Are the older motors more reliable? I think I remember reading that the later models (after 98?) have an aluminum cylinder head and that caused problems.

I would prefer powers windows and locks, but they are not must haves. If they give problems, than it is best to avoid them.

How are the A/C systems in these trucks? I would prefer A/C if it is reliable.
The older motors are generally pretty reliable, however I do not like the closed cooling system of the 91-down motors. 92-2001 has the open cooling system (more reliable in my opinion).

The 2000-2001 engines are what you probably heard bad things about. They do not have an aluminum cylinder head; rather, they have a faulty casting that causes them to form a hairline crack if overheated. The problem is overrated for what it is, and doesn't happen near as frequently as Jeepforum/Cherokeeforum/Xjtalk/NAXJA members seem to think. For every one person that starts a thread complaining about it, I bet there are at least 50 more people driving around 2000-2001's that make it another 150,000 miles. If you choose one of these year models, just don't overheat it and watch the coolant levels. If you ever have milky oil, this would explain it.

Also, the 2000-2001 models moved from the stronger reverse-cut high pinion Dana 30 front axle of the 1984-1999 versions to a standard-cut low pinion Dana 30 similar to the Wrangler TJ. Not an issue unless you plan on lifting more than 4.5'' and going to 33'' tires or greater.

The reliability of the power door locks and windows is iffy. I have seen some Cherokees from the early 90's with fully working windows and locks, and then you have my 2001 with 70k miles that has a bad rear lock actuator. It is a common Chrysler problem that can be fixed if you have access to a junkyard.

The A/C systems in my experience are pretty reliable.

There are plenty of other things to cover between the year models, just ask if you have any questions. Good luck on your purchase, and welcome to CF!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jbondbmw
Thanks for the info. Yea, I really don't want to put more than three grand. Seven grand it way out of my price range.

What is the sellers username on Ebay?
Currently, he only has 99's and up (two of the cheapest at 5500). Sometimes he doesn't post the older stuff on eBay (keep an eye out though, I most likely am wrong...like usual) but if I see one on his lot (which is right next to my house) I will let you know the year, price, mileage, and condition of the vehicle. His eBay username is mikewatchers.

Here's a link to his eBay http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mikewatchers/

it says he has no listings but I don't know what's up with that. His website is http://www.mikewatchers.com

One other thing, on his website he lists all Jeep Cherokee's as having ABS...this is most likely FALSE. If they have the 8.25 rear axle they DO NOT have ABS, but if they have the Dana 35 rear axle they sometimes do have ABS. Just do your research to be sure
Old 08-13-2011, 11:48 PM

The red 1999 would be my bet out of those. Limited, 242, sunroof, 4.0L, auto, leather, power everything, HP front axle, no head cracking...good choice IMO.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Silver60th
The red 1999 would be my bet out of those. Limited, 242, sunroof, 4.0L, auto, leather, power everything, HP front axle, no head cracking...good choice IMO.
that one worried me a bit....might just be me though. He has a 2000 Jeep Cherokee classic (only 1 year newer) with 5000 more miles and less fancy features but it costs almost 1500 dollars more. Sounds kind of funny to me. I really envy that Jeep though. I paid 5500 for my green XJ and it had about 110k miles and is nowhere even close to as nice as this one. This thing looks clean on the pics but I have been on some wild goose chases (thank you New Jersey) so it's better to take a look at it in person.

IMO, I'd take the first maroon Cherokee sport for 5500. I took a look at that thing the one day just for the hell of it, and let me tell you, that thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Not a scratch, dent, or chip on it (besides some swirling that all cars have after a year or so). The engine does have 125k (which is considerably more than mine) but I'm just a sucker for Dark red and maroon XJs

Last edited by Griff94; 08-14-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:42 AM

I found this one:

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/ctd/2521036624.html

Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 AM

I could be wrong, but I don't see the shift lever for the transfercase on that one...you sure it's 4x4?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Well, I was all ready to get the standard Cherokee, until I discovered this..

Wow!

The 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9. I may have to save up some more for one of these. I had forgotten about them, but when I was looking at Jeeps I saw some of these and remember my neighbor had one when I was a kid. I used to love the sound of the engine and just thought it was a super cool SUV. To bad about the EPA 11/16 gas mileage, but whatever.

Quick Reply: Want To Buy a Cherokee - Need Advice