Think of buying 2011 JGC - PLease help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Think of buying 2011 JGC - PLease help!

All,

New to forum. I am considering purchasing a 2011 JGC in next week or so. Love the new design, look and feel. Have been able to work a good deal with local dealers. Never owned a Jeep. PLease advise about reliability - very concerned about Chyrsler, etc. Is this a risky venture. Dont plan much off road stuff but will be pulling boat (combined weight of trailer, boat, motor about 3500 lbs.)

First question - There is lots of trash talk on web (edmunds etc) about all kinds of problems with JGC. Course I know most who frequent these sites are seeking outlet for problems. Happy customer are out driving theirs...
Would love to hear from any owners out there.

Second question - If I do pull the cord do I go V8 Hemi or new V6 engine? I have driven both. The V6 is quiet and smooth but am concerned about not having enough torque.

Any and all help is appreciated. Wife thinks I am nuts - fretting over this too much. Getting ready to retire want to make the right decision!

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Welcome to our forum.

Get the Hemi. Mileage will suck, but it will be fun to drive.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I'd get the Hemi since the 2011's improved MDS system w/VVT only gets 1 MPG less on the highway than the V6, but has the extra power when needed. >http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_engines.htm#SPECS

Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

New to the forum myself. As far as reliability I'm an ASE mechanic for the past 5 years and I have 18 years in the field as a mechanic.

It used to be I would say without question certain car or truck brands were more reliable than others on average with Toyota and Honda coming out on top 90 percent of the time. Anymore though I would say they are all fairly equal as none are immune to problems. Each manufacturer has his own unique quirks and problems which seem to be common on certain models. Basically a lot of it comes down to luck of the draw, maintanence, driver abuse or lack of. otherwise every vehicle will have problems.

The days of buying only toyota or Honda are gone as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by marcall
New to the forum myself. As far as reliability I'm an ASE mechanic for the past 5 years and I have 18 years in the field as a mechanic.

It used to be I would say without question certain car or truck brands were more reliable than others on average with Toyota and Honda coming out on top 90 percent of the time. Anymore though I would say they are all fairly equal as none are immune to problems. Each manufacturer has his own unique quirks and problems which seem to be common on certain models. Basically a lot of it comes down to luck of the draw, maintanence, driver abuse or lack of. otherwise every vehicle will have problems.

The days of buying only toyota or Honda are gone as far as I'm concerned.
I'd have to agree with that. IMO, quality is very similar these days and it's luck of the draw as to what you end up with. My priority these days is how difficult are they to work on? I like to do as much work myself as I can. Personally, a transverse mounted V6 is a deal breaker. LOL
Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site.