Soon to be new XJ owner in Ga

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Soon to be new XJ owner in Ga

Actually, this isn't my first XJ...I also owned a 96 a few years ago, but that Jeep was the devil, lol. Everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. But, even with all the issues...I love XJ's and I'm happy to find my way into another. This one is a 98 Classic, Stone White, 4WD w/ np231, auto, with about 140k on the clock. Seems to be in pretty good shape, very little rust, just a little surface rust here and there, nothing that cant be cleaned up. I'm gonna take it down to the mechanic later this coming week, let em run compression tests, etc. But at least there were no crazy death noises during the test drive, lol, always a good sign. Only things I found that were not working with it(and I'm certainly not professing to be a mechanic): the rear hatch struts need to be replaced, and the drivers lock button isnt working. Both very easy fixes, not worried about them.

On a side note, if the mechanic doesn't tell me its gonna blow up in 5 miles or something, I'm gonna pick it up. Which brings up the question of the inevitable tune up shortly afterward...can someone tell me if I am forgetting anything:
spark plugs and wires
distributor cap and rotor
some brake pads(the rotors are in almost new shape, I think they replaced them, possibly the pads also)
oil change and filter
air filter
couple cans of sea foam

possible other stuff, depending on what the mechanic finds:
trans flush and filter change
fuel system cleaning

one question: there are a couple other items that I wasn't sure if you would really consider tune up items, or just fix them IF they go bad, stuff like o2 sensor, crank positioning sensor, etc. Anything you guys can think of?

anyways, if I am forgetting anything, please let me know. Also, if there are any areas in particular that I should take a closer look at, throw em out. I'd rather find out before I buy it that the Jeep wants to kill me, lol.

Well, I am in the military, stationed at Ft. Benning, so if you are in the area, and want to go wheeling, drop me a line.

If I end up buying it, I will post some pics, but everyone has seen a bone stock Stone White XJ, lol. But c'mon, everyone loves pics, so I'll take some.

Later,
Dom
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Thank You for Your Service.
You might want to drain and refill the t-case, and axles too. The t-case has a drain & fill plug. Refill to the bottom of the fill hole. On the axles you'll need to remove the covers to drain them, but this will give you a chance to check the condition of the gears, and look for debris. Then clean everything, replace cover w/gasket or rtv, and refill to the bottom of the fill/access plug.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 AM

Thank you for you Service! Axles, I also would recommend the cooling system flush...... Congrats (hopefully) on your new XJ
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM

Yeah, the cooling system, axles, and t-case are on the list of things to do as well. Just trying to cover all my bases. I want it to STAY in pretty decent shape, as this is gonna be a DD for the wife, till she buys a new car, then I will sell my truck, and I can start tinkering with the XJ. We'll see if the stealership wants to take a reasonable offer, if not, then back to searching I guess.

Either way, thanks for the welcome.

Later