Proud new ZJ owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995/1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 242 4.0 / 242 4.0
Talking Proud new ZJ owner

Hi all, from Alberta up here in Canada. Picked myself up a 1998 Grand Cherokee a few days ago and I'm happy with it. I've been loving it since i first took her for a drive. I got a little tired of my car getting stuck trying to get out of the driveway with all of the snow we've been getting here over the last 4 weeks, so naturally some 4x4 was in order. The best part is that the price was a little less than putting Winter tires (and steelies) on my car.

She's got some mileage on her (330,000KM) but the 'ol 4.0 liter runs beautifully and the automatic shifts great for the age. The body and interior are in excellent condition, with just some very minor imperfections.

I've always been a fan of the XJ, and the ZJ has followed a close second in my books.

For the price i paid for this girl, I can respect that she;s not completely perfect. I've got some noise coming from what sounds like the rear diff, but nothing that I'm worried about running with for the rest of the winter. Just ordered a shop manual from Faxon for her as I've done for most of my vehicles that i plan on hanging onto for a while.

I have no plans of lifting or hopping this unit up any time soon, but only time will tell. She seems like a perfect specimen to be a decent winter rig and backup DD for when the car is undergoing maintenance (spare time is hard to come by, so even small jobs usually spans a few days or weeks at times).

Happy to be on this forum as a fellow AMC and Jeep fan that i work with recommended it. As this is the first Jeep I've owned myself (but not the first one I've worked on), I'm sure i may slip up and ask a few questions that may otherwise have well-known answers to (but I'll do my best to be thorough in my searches).

Anyways, thanks in advance for the help you guys are providing on here.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Welcome to the obsession
Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Welcome to Cherokee Forum! Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

funny to here you call her a she because my wife calls my xj the mistress lol. welcome
Old 02-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6 Cyl. w/ 0630Head+MikeWilsonAdapter (preserves engine/brain function w/ stronger head) 62mmTB

I'm happy for you. A good rig like that is exceptional.