'nother newb...

Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 'nother newb...

Hey,
The XJ is actually the wife's driver, but I get to drive it from time to time. We have a '98 Sport 4.0 auto 4WD. Bought it back in June with 130K on it.

I'm planning on replacing the rear springs very soon, just can't decide if I want to go stock height (crown springs) or a very small lift. Trouble is, it appears most small lifts are just AAL, and I want new springs...

Also, thinking about a set of stock diameter A/Ts. It had new Kumho Solus on it when we bought it. I'm not real crazy about them, especially since we live "off the paved road" and on a hillside.

But other than that can't wait till next spring when our daughter is old enough to go camping with the new-to-us Jeep...

Oh, yeah, I added some stock looking foglights, and am looking for a factory switch/panel to wire into the new setup.

I can't ever leave anything alone. I'm just glad she wanted something as cool as a Jeep! and for all the right reasons...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

welcome aboard
Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Welcome, from Wisconsin. Go to a junk yard, or keep checking on E-Bay. For the switch panel. Keep in mind, if your using the factory wiring set-up. They are wired into the low beam, headlights. And will only come on when low beams are on. When high beams turn on they shut off. As for the lift, Check into "Old Man Emu". a little expansive but worth it. (especially a daily driver) Or possible the factory option that was offered called, ("Country, Or Up-Country, A lot of replacement parts catalogs called it, Off-road pkg. Or Heavy duty pkg.) These choices all offered about 2-2 1/2" in height. Putting AAL's, spacers, on a worn out set of coils & leafs. Doesn't make sense to me! JMO!
Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I guess I haven't seen any place that sells OEM style replacement springs other than the crown springs for our XJ. Can you point me to a vendor? I don't want to go with a larger diameter, but wider would be nice on the tires. I've got a set of the old 80's turbine style wheels that I think I'll be putting on there, and getting rid of the alloy 5 stars...

BTW, I'm making my own wiring. Already have the lights wired in with the switch they came with. I just want to use the factory switch, because I like the look. I'll probably just switch the ground and trigger the relay off the parking lights, so they can't be left on. I found a switch on ebay, but there is a local JY that has several XJ's I want to check with first. I just never think about calling the few hours they're open.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Call your closest Mopar parts dealer, they will have the springs. there offered in 3 different spring rates. (regaler rate, heavy duty, off road, with 4" arch, 5", and 6" arch) Cost about $90 each, plus the cost of new bushings. Also Jeep 4 wheel, and Quadratrac offered OEM springs. Get on their mailing list. Check the internet for a PDF jeep-Moper parts catalog. I only have 1991-1993, But I've seen other years out there. If your replacing the springs, might as well do the shocks as well. The front coils, and shocks are probably just as old. this is what got me thinking of doing at all at once. And why I decided on the Old Man Emu suspension system, with 2 1/2" lift. To keep the factory stock look, but have the best ride possible. (If I ever want to increase ride height, then I can add AAl's, Or shackles, And spacers) My factory fog lights, I replaced the bulbs with 4H. Along with the headlights. Now there both 5000k hyper white. Big difference, And throw a lot of light. My factory lattice style alloy rims, I'm buffing them out so they Look new again also. (just a lot of elbow grease there) I'm in the process of restoring mine to "showroom" stock, with a few improvements that will not be noticable. But greatly appreciated. LOL
Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 liter H.O. I-6

Welcome to CF!! Enjoy your new rig.