Not So Rusty Not So Trusty Beater

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 6.0 LQ9
Default Not So Rusty Not So Trusty Beater

Hello all! I figured it would be good to join since forums are the best source of knowledge and a lot of times good deals on parts. I am an industrial engineer and I am in deep in the Cult of Cars.

So the main reason I am here is my bad weather beater. I got this 01 Cherokee about 2 years ago in a trade for this real POS S10 I bought to move when I bought my first house. I can't say it has been too unreliable but it has over heated once, lost brakes 4 times for 3 different reasons, needed a whole steering refresh, and has all sorts of fun electrical issues that have not been sorted. But has never stranded me on the road, I have always gotten home on its own power. But regardless is has soldiered on through 205,000 miles and I do enjoy driving this.

Only upgrade I have done to this was a rear disc conversion since I have a deep hatred for drum brakes. I do however plan on a lot of things to make this a more practical daily since this is an AMAZING winter vehicle and an easy driver. One of the bigger thing that may not scream practicality is doing a LS swap. I have an iron block 5.3 and harness I from a truck I parted out and was going to use on a BMW, but I am going to use an aluminum block motor for that project. So all I need is the purchased parts and a 4wd transmission. The 4.0L is a great motor and I can't really give a good explanation as to why an LS other than just because I can. I also want to upgrade the headlights, a GPS radio, and a hidden winch. This will be a tactical practical Jeep that I can drive cross country on or off the road if needed.

Name:  qR2MGMSl.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  89.0 KB
Name:  KOxCSBVl.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  96.3 KB

With the Jeep I have 4 other vehicles. I have a 95 BMW 525i I am currently restoring everything and doing a twin turbo LS swap with a TR6060. A 93 BMW 525i that is a secondary winter daily I bought because it is the same as my 95 in almost every way in stock form and was $600. I have a 93 Ford Ranger that was my late father truck he bought brand new and it needs a lot of mechanical work and I was thinking of swapping the old 4 cylinder for the newer I4 ecoboost, but this is low priority right now. And last but not least a 2016 Mustang GT with a 6 speed manual that is just a tad over 25,000 miles and is my summer daily but I would like to make this more of a weekend cruiser. Right now I only have 5 but I have had 14 cars since I was 16 and just turned 24 last month so I have issues, clearly.

Name:  yVdcCTxl.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  100.5 KB
Name:  1RFfjSRl.jpg
Size:  102.4 KB
Name:  7BhY7qal.jpg
Size:  80.1 KB