New to XJ's, bought one today

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l l6
Default New to XJ's, bought one today

Hey guys, I just bought a 99 Cherokee sport today to daily drive and to use in connecticuts harsh winters. Has a small lift with brand new tires on it and 140,000 miles. I'm new to xjs but have worked on cars for a while now.

the steering is pretty loose which is pretty common for these from what I've read. rockers are solid except for one spot, should be an easy patch. Front crank seal is leaking but I'll fix that in the summer. Has the 231 transfer case which seems to be preferred in the xj community from what I've read. No death wobble, hit a pretty big pot hole on the highway going 60 and no crazy shake so that's a relief lol.

First things first I'm gonna put fresh trans fluid and a new trans filter in, I read that these transmissions should be ran with dex/merc. Then I'll do fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor as well as other small stuff like the pcv valve. Then I'll move on to rebuilding the front end and will do the yj steering upgrade. Look forward to learning from you guys.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Looks pretty nice.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I-6 Cyl. w/ 0630Head+MikeWilsonAdapter (preserves engine/brain function w/ stronger head) 62mmTB

Beautiful. Welcome.