New To The Whole Gig

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New To The Whole Gig

Just picked up my first XJ, a 96 Country. I doubt if I'll turn it into a complete rock-eating monster, but I do want to make it more useful for getting me back into the thick of things. It's a solid rig and the price was right. I'm getting new tires this week, noting aggressive, but it needed rubber so I'm going with the BF Goodrich Long Trail 225/75R15 on the honeycomb stock rims for starters. I realize I could have just hit up Craigslist and caught someone with the mountains of tires and wheels that everyone seems to be getting rid of, but this one is mine and I'm solid in my decision.

She's a fairly solid 96 country edition, 4.0with the High-Output transmission, power windows and all that jazz. 182,000 miles, but everything is clean and no leaks. I ran her through her paces, in all gears, and everything sounded great - and the 4L power....I've had trucks that didn't give me that sense of power. Only rust spot on this 14 year-old is above the wheel well on the passenger rear. Yes, right at the rear cab bed. I'm going to seal the spots for now so the interior doesn't get moist when I drive in rain, but eventually I'll repair from the inside and all around.

I hunt, shoot archery competitions and need something to carry my gear, get me into, and out of, some lighter, but messy situations. I wasn't into the whole wrangler thing; the vehicles seem fun, but not practical, and a truck is just a truck and I've had plenty of those.....

I just ordered my hitch, that I will be using mostly for hitch-hauler to pack deer and drag a small boat to local lakes and maybe a small pop-up once in a while, but nothing huge and nothing super far. This will be my daily driver but I have a work truck that I drive for my job so I probably won't be putting more than 6000 miles a year on it.

After I get her a little more presentable, I'll snap a few shots and use em on here, but there's really nothing to brag about, but it's mine, demmit! I like the profile of this rig, even without a lift. I may raise er up a smidge and increase the wheel size as well as beef the suspension a bit, or at least replace the older gear and make sure I'm solid and fresh. If I decide I'm really into this game I'll probably just get a more established rig and personalize it.

Anyway, My name is Steve and I'm in Morrow, Ohio, about 20 miles north of Cincinnati. I now own a 96 Cherokee Country and I am pleased to meet you.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve,I like those Cherokees. I've done 5,000 in two months..lol poor Jeep
Old 04-06-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran