New from NY

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L HO
Default New from NY

Hello all, just bought a 1995 XJ with 192,000 miles on it. I'll be using it as my dd for now. It runs well. Has rear main seal leak, rusted floor panels, saggy headliner, etc... the problems you'd expect with it. Also, a thumping noise after releasing the throttle, not quite sure what that is. Anyway, I'm new to Jeeps, happy with my purchase, and still getting the feel for it.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the Cherokee forum
Old 07-02-2013, 11:10 PM

I just installed a new Kenwood HU and the front left speaker doesn't work and the front right speaker pops at higher volume / higher bass. I was planning or rewiring the speakers from the door to the jeep as the connection in the boot between the two tends to corrode, from what I've read. Does anyone have any other thoughts? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMan
Hello all, just bought a 1995 XJ with 192,000 miles on it. I'll be using it as my dd for now. It runs well. Has rear main seal leak, rusted floor panels, saggy headliner, etc... the problems you'd expect with it. Also, a thumping noise after releasing the throttle, not quite sure what that is. Anyway, I'm new to Jeeps, happy with my purchase, and still getting the feel for it.
Welcome. I'm new here, too, and just bought a '95 XJ with 257K. Like you, it's my first Jeep and I'm finding it to be sensibly designed and pretty easy to work on. So far, many probs fixed, many more to go. If your thumping noise comes when letting off the throttle after hard acceleration, maybe an engine mount? Cheers!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

Welcome to the site. What part of NY are you from? I'm on Fort Drum for now.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2WDXJ
Welcome. I'm new here, too, and just bought a '95 XJ with 257K. Like you, it's my first Jeep and I'm finding it to be sensibly designed and pretty easy to work on. So far, many probs fixed, many more to go. If your thumping noise comes when letting off the throttle after hard acceleration, maybe an engine mount? Cheers!
I agree, so far it's been relatively painless to work on. But I've mostly only repaired electrical wiring in it so far. The PO had interesting solutions to wiring problems . With regard to the thumping noise, it sounds like it's beneath my feet and I can literally feel the jeep resisting it's forward momentum ... as if I were tapping the brake or something, if you get what I mean. From what I've read, maybe engine mount or u joints but I'm pretty much a newb on this. I guess I gotta get under it and poke around.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by rmoore1031
Welcome to the site. What part of NY are you from? I'm on Fort Drum for now.
I'm actually from Jersey, I just moved up to Rhinebeck, NY this summer with my gf after graduating college. So, no job, no prospects, not much $, and I decided to buy a jeep lol. I'm probably about 4 hours south of you though.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: I6 4.0

I'm actually from Jersey, I just moved up to Rhinebeck, NY this summer with my gf after graduating college. So, no job, no prospects, not much $, and I decided to buy a jeep lol. I'm probably about 4 hours south of you though.
yea google says 4 hours. have fun working on the Jeep.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1996

welcome
Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 PM

I agree, so far it's been relatively painless to work on. But I've mostly only repaired electrical wiring in it so far. The PO had interesting solutions to wiring problems . With regard to the thumping noise, it sounds like it's beneath my feet and I can literally feel the jeep resisting it's forward momentum ... as if I were tapping the brake or something, if you get what I mean. From what I've read, maybe engine mount or u joints but I'm pretty much a newb on this. I guess I gotta get under it and poke around.
Same here with the electrical probs. There's tons of great help on this forum and YouTube has some helpful vids, too. My XJ had a smoking ignition switch, no wipers, no HVAC blower, no radio, no cruise, no backup lights (PO bypassed busted neutral safety switch), & a lotta burned out bulbs. One new ignition switch, new wiper/signal multiswitch, some bulbs, and a new neutral safety switch (and reversing the bypass) and now EVERYTHING works awesome. HAPPY!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2WDXJ
Same here with the electrical probs. There's tons of great help on this forum and YouTube has some helpful vids, too. My XJ had a smoking ignition switch, no wipers, no HVAC blower, no radio, no cruise, no backup lights (PO bypassed busted neutral safety switch), & a lotta burned out bulbs. One new ignition switch, new wiper/signal multiswitch, some bulbs, and a new neutral safety switch (and reversing the bypass) and now EVERYTHING works awesome. HAPPY!
Ah, so you had a bit of work on your hands there. I had same issue with bulbs, just about everyone was blown out and I had no radio / speakers and the factory harness was cut. Fortunately nothing too major yet. I installed my CB this week so I'm happy about that. Where in Vermont are you located? I lived in Burlington last summer and I really enjoyed the area.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site
Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 PM

Ah, so you had a bit of work on your hands there. I had same issue with bulbs, just about everyone was blown out and I had no radio / speakers and the factory harness was cut. Fortunately nothing too major yet. I installed my CB this week so I'm happy about that. Where in Vermont are you located? I lived in Burlington last summer and I really enjoyed the area.
Hey GreenMan. I've got a couple of old CBs and a magnetic roof antenna and I've been thinking about hooking them up. I'm 80 minutes south of Burlington in a small town outside of Rutland. Burlington is much better.