New from N. Texas (Dallas)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default New from N. Texas (Dallas)

Hello everyone. I figured after lurking around for the last month or so I should introduce my self. Name is John and I live and work in North Texas. I have a profession where people either love or hate me (depends on whether or not I determine an accident was their fault).

I am on Jeep #5 now. I picked up a 2001 XJ Classic a little over a month ago. I searched for several months and finally found one that was a pretty good deal. Only problem is the 2wd. The 242K on the odometer didn't scare me as I am looking to go with the stroke option in due time.

Previous jeeps include:

1986 MJ (had more rust than paint)
1995 YJ (I miss it daily)
1998 ZJ
2004 WJ

Around 2007 I got rid of all of the Jeeps. I thought I had moved on. I realized I just forgot my own advice; "Having a Jeep is a disease, you can't get rid of it. You will always end up with another one." So here I am.

To date I have not done much to the XJ. I just went in and did the basic (oil, air filer, etc). I bought some extremely crappy projector head lights and am sending them back (we'll see how that goes) and pulled off the grill cover and head light bezels for repaint today.

Future plans include:
-Stroker (October)
-3-4.5 lift (same time as motor)
-4x4 Conversion (one day, ideally at the same time as lift/ motor)
-Removing over head console and updating (thinking about figuring out the over head set up in the WJ)
-Adding glass(digital dash) and in dash tablet for audio and control of dash
-Leather seats
- f/r bumpers

I figure that when all is said and done I will have dumped way more in to this thing then I paid for it. Here we go again I guess.

Look forward to talking with everyone and def. learning from you all. XJ is a new game for me.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think WJ overhead consoles ll work because it uses different language from xj overheads but I'm not exactly sure. Don't quote me on that. Lol.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I was thinking that might create a problem. Also, I am unsure how big the opening under the XJ piece is. I pulled it down a bit yesterday and it seems like they have a pretty good amount of wires stuffed under that thing. I am not committed to pulling it off as the rest of the head line is still in proper position. haha
Old 06-08-2015, 07:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jswilliamd86
I was thinking that might create a problem. Also, I am unsure how big the opening under the XJ piece is. I pulled it down a bit yesterday and it seems like they have a pretty good amount of wires stuffed under that thing. I am not committed to pulling it off as the rest of the head line is still in proper position. haha
I installed the OHC on my XJ, (I cut out the piece of headliner off the donor jeep so I could use it as a template) and I didn't even needed to cut every hole from the template either. I only needed two holes to use the mounting points. That's it. Check out my build thread (jerk stick) and the OHC install is at the end of the thread.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for joining, it's great to have you here

Tony