New to Jeeps could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 / 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default New to Jeeps could use some advice

I just bought a 87 cherokee limited. strait 6. has some issues and i signed up here to find out everything i can about it and hope to get some pointers on it.

The Good:
Only paid $360! for it. 4x4 works great even did some climbing already, interior looks 10yrs old not 23! all leather with no rips, starts up everytime i have turned the key, body is in average shape halfway to GREAT by michigan standards rusty but not beat to *****. rides pretty damn smooth all the way up to 85mph (didnt really want to go any faster than that) and in the 4 days i have had it it has made the hour trip out to my parents house, there and back 3 times with no problems

The Bad:
211K on it, marks its territory, it leaks a bit of oil i can see thats its defenatly coming from the valve cover, but because it leaks at a rest i also fear rear main seal. but its only a small amount owner said about half a Qt a month and it was her daily driver, some electrical issues i fixed the major one the headlights were constant on so you had to disconect the batt everytime you stopped. but i have no dash lights no power to the radio wire, and the left turn signal blinks really slow and dim, trailer lights are to dim to work. and the driver floor pan is pretty much nothing but the carpet doing its best not to fall through. temp gage says around 210 constantly while running not sure if that is hot for a strait six but it over heated when i let it sit and idle in my driveway for a while. i was told to put a new radiator cap on the overflow tank so i did cause it was only $7 it hasnt over heated since but i also havent let it sit and idle for an extended period of time. owner said it will most likely need a fuel pump soon as it froze up on her one day she hit the tank with a rock it started right up and has not done it since.

I will get some pics up here soon. I am hoping some one with point me in the right directions of some threads that deal with the mentioned issues or maybe some one in the local MI area could help me out, I am mechanicly inclined and can tare down a 350 sbc pretty much blind folded but know nothing of jeeps this is my first one so i would like to know everything i can about it. as i was really only looking for a beater to get me through winter i dont really have a large budget to play with but i was hopeing some one could point me twards Cheap but good suspention parts I dont want to lift it or even really mod it i just want to know that its not going to fail on me. I am not really going to do much off roading with it maybe some light stuff but not anything a stock jeep would hesitate to go through. If anyone could point me in the right Directions that would be helpful or if anyone is in the sterling heights or ortonville area and would like to help out a fledgeling jeeper let me know