New guy from Vermont

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New guy from Vermont

So I've been wanting a wrangler for some time now, but the prices for one in my neck of the woods are just ridiculous so some friends suggested a Cherokee. I had never given these little rigs a second look, but then the research began. I found this forum as well as some others and i am just amazed at how capable, inexpensive and tough the XJ's really are. My budget is small, and finding a 20 year old Cherokee in northern Vermont that isn't totally roached is near impossible. I found this little hunny last weekend for cheap so I dragged it (actually drove) home.

It was advertised as a 96, turns out its a 98. 4.0 Automatic. 172K on the clock so from what I've seen, its still got some life in it. It runs and shifts great other than and idler pulley bearing squealing a bit. I do have some rust to deal with, rockers will become 2x4ish rock sliders, bottom of all 4 doors need some attention, I'm not sure how much yet because the PO was liberal with the body filler. Inner rear quarters have some holes so the cut and fold should square that away.

My plans in the spring will include 4.5 inches of lift, SYE, probably the hack and tap method, and 35's. That should get me up and running with my Wrangler buddies and then I can improve more from there. My budget is small so I won't be going the "best" route, but some of the more budget friendly options will be used. I am not a fabricator, but I can find my way around and have access to most of the basic requirements, welder, plasma cutter, torches etc.

For this weekend, I'm just focusing on getting it up to snuff, I need to replace a brake cylinder, fix the power drivers seat that is jacked all the way to the top and not working, adjust the hatch latch (haha hatch latch, doh! nvm) and find the squealing idler/tensioner pulley. If time permits, I may remove the rear bumper, hitch, gas tank skid plate and tank and start on the inner quarters as I want to weld them up clean and not blow myself up.

Enough about me and my dreams, I've been lurking this site for a couple of months now, and I have my own XJ so hopefully I can begin to contribute and help others as I have been helped. Thanks for all the great information that has been made available.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:36 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Welcome to Cherokee Forum, nice ride you have there
Old 09-10-2016, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome to the forum
Old 09-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Year: 1997

welcome I have 4.5 rc lift wich if you r on budget is what you will probably look at its not amazing but not bad and I don't have a sye and had no problems yet probably depends if you r rock crawling and I'm only running 31 1050 that may help
Old 09-11-2016, 04:29 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by jt_aleshire
welcome I have 4.5 rc lift wich if you r on budget is what you will probably look at its not amazing but not bad and I don't have a sye and had no problems yet probably depends if you r rock crawling and I'm only running 31 1050 that may help
Thanks, I am considering the 4.5 RC lift because of the price. Thanks for your input as that makes me feel a bit better about it. I do understand that it has weak points such as bending shackles and what not, but I could fab some of those to be more suitable and perhaps make other improvements along the way.
I won't be making suspension changes until spring anyway so I'll have plenty of time to consider the options.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 PM

Hi, I'm new as well and I have the short arm rough country X lift. The price is good and the install is not bad. I did it in my garage. It does come with a transfer case drop and I don't have a SYE either and it runs fine. I have black rubi wheels with stock 32x10.5. 👍🏽
Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Welcome to CF!