New Dick in NoCal w 91 XJ Briarwood

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO
Smile New Dick in NoCal w 91 XJ Briarwood

Greetings Cherokee people. I'm joining from the heart of Commie Central, just south of SF but please don't hold that agin' me. Just bought a 91 Cherokee Briarwood primarily for use by my 16 year old daughter.... we'll see if that holds true!! It appears to be in decent condition but will need numerous "small things" done.

Beyond saying how do to you all, I'm looking for advice on the first things I should inspect and address. It's got the 4.0 (of course), automatic, and all electric interior. Body appears rust and rot free, engine seems pretty strong and tranny shifted well. Drove it about 60 miles home without incident. It definitely has an oil leak and a loud fuel pump, both of which sound common based on the little I know from reading on the forum. Unfortunately, neither of the power seats moves - the previous owner thought it needs a new module(?)

Hit me with some wisdom if you will. Thanks

Franz
Old 03-18-2018, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998/2018
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0/ 3.2

Hello and welcome. Do you have any idea that area of the engine the oil is coming from need more info lol. Could be oil filter adapter or valve cover or something else but those are common things that leak on the 4.0
Old 03-19-2018, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Thanks J Irish

Got the rig home late yesterday and mostly set to cleaning it this afternoon after working on my other family vehicles. Thing needs lots of stuff done one of which was replacing the drivers seatbelt receiving side - the innards are broken. To tide me over I pulled out the left rear single receiver and swapped it w the drivers then put the right rear double receiver on the left rear anchor point while removing the middle male side. My daughter and wife are itching to drive it and figured I better get that done first.

Oil leak seems to be to be fairly far back so will be looking at that next weekend. Thanks for saying hello and any advice on valve cover re-do or filter adapter is appreciated.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Greetings from Chico to Half Moon Bay