New '99 in NY (with questions)!

Old 10-02-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New '99 in NY (with questions)!

Had for 2 weeks so far and loving it! My last car got totaled and I needed something cheap, found this 4.0L 1999 2 door sport on Craigslist just down the street and got it for $2k with 4 brand new all seasons (Mastercrafts but for free I can't complain). 125k and very well maintained.

So here are some questions/issues I have:

1.) Idle
When I start it up, it's at around 1000 rpm and it takes a good 3 minutes for it to drop to the 600-700 idle point. This seems like a long time. Is this normal or is something wrong? Would cleaning the IAC fix this?

2.) A/C
When I bought it he told me the ac didn't work (and the Jeep was their winter car so he didn't bother to fix it). I figured it just needed a recharge so I picked up some ac pro. When I connected it though it read that it was overcharged. Is there any way I can release it? Yes, the compressor is working.

3.) Rockers
As you can see in the pictures, my Rockers are rusted like everyone else's. I don't have the time/skill/tools to actually replace them, but I do want to get rid of the look. I found this site: http://rustrepairpanel.com they have covers that basically just use self tapping screws to cover the rust. Has anyone used these?

4.) Brakes
I'm going to need brakes soon, where is the best site to find them? I found a powerstop kit with ceramic pads for $76 on rockauto. Seems like a good deal?

5.) Headlights
The headlights are horrendously dim and should be replaced. I plan on doing the harness upgrade too, though I'm a bit of an electrical noob. Does anyone have a link to a video guide for it? I've looked and can't really find much. Also, I'd just want to do halogens (H4 right?) I've read plenty of stuff about different kinds but I have no idea how I'd choose. I'd just want a thing with the bulbs and the housings together, nothing fancy needed.

6.) Wheels
The steel wheels look terrible so I want to paint them, or I've seen stuff about plasti dip which seems easier.

So about me, I'm just going to use this as my daily (im a college student). Luckily my commute isn't far because this thing loves gas (luckily its cheap now!). I have little to no experience working on cars but want to learn. So far all I've done is a stereo and speakers (pioneer mvh-x370bt head unit and Kenwood KFC 6.5" speakers). Though my driver speaker needs to be re wired like most.

So far I'm super happy with my xj and hope it'll keep going strong!

Also if you haven't seen this you should (as long as you have a sense of humor RCR's reviews are gold) :

Is this normal too?

It came with the cheetah mats, they were so hilarious I had to keep them in for now

Last edited by kspaeth; 10-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 10-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

first off welcome the forum and the jeep world.

second the idle could be icv or idle control valve on the throttle body could be getting stuck. i would try cleaning the throttle body first and see if that helps then go from there.

third if the ac isnt working and over charged. i would bother. your probably looking at more money than you want to spend. plus winter is coming. your in new york you should know you wont need ac for some time now.

fourth. powerstop brake combo on rock auto aint a bad deal.

fifth. i dont have any videos to help sorry.

sixth. the rocker thing you posted would be a bad temp fix, just know if you leave it there even though you cant see it its still rotting under that. so i would say a get you by till you can properly fix them.

seventh. plastidip aint bad. give it a go. you never know till you try.

the shifter thing is common to break. goto a local just yark.

other wise your jeep looks good. and trust me it wont take long for the jeep bug to bite you. seeing other peoples jeeps done up and wanting to go off road. youll soon start to want to upgrade.

also where in new york are you abouts?
Old 10-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for joining

Tony