Lurker Posting for the First Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Lurker Posting for the First Time

New to Jeep Cherokee, well sort of... I bought my 2001 Cherokee used in November 2007 and it was my first ever Jeep of any sort, and while I have been driving it a couple of years now, and lurked occasionally on the forum, well I thought it is time to say hello. Mine is the 4.0 L in-line 6 with auto trans and is totally stock. I don't have any plans to modify it extensively but hope to learn from the Forum how to get a few more HP out of it for towing our travel trailer (TT). Vehicle size wise it is great for towing the TT but a little anemic in the power department when we get into the Idaho mountains. The wife says I need a bigger truck but I have become so enamored with this fabulous Jeep Cherokee that I can't even think about parting with it. I love the size and maneuverability of it, especially in our winter conditions. I am told that 2001 was the last of the "Good original Cherokee's" but have no idea if that is true or not.

Don

Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Welcome!!! great looking Cherokee!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Honorary Moderator

to answer some of your questions
the 2001 jeep cherokee was the last year in production
with out doing major engine work here is a list of upgrades i would look into:

63mm bored throttle body (strokedjeep.com)
Neon Injectors (ending in 703)
Freer flowing exhaust
MSD ignition
Upgraded ignition coil
Old 09-08-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
to answer some of your questions
the 2001 jeep cherokee was the last year in production
with out doing major engine work here is a list of upgrades i would look into:

63mm bored throttle body (strokedjeep.com)
Neon Injectors (ending in 703)
Freer flowing exhaust
MSD ignition
Upgraded ignition coil
96_xj,

Thank you ever so much for the power improvement tips. While I am new to Jeep Cherokee's and new to the forum, and my Cherokee is stock, I am a gear head and have been for 40 plus years so your advice is truly appreciated. I am familiar with MSD ignition (Have an MSD box and distributor on my Porsche 914 that I put a Buick V6 engine in) so will go that route for the Jeep. I am not familiar with the Neon injectors but will do a Google on them.

Thank you for the link to strokedjeep.com. That is very helpful and looks like a heck of a good deal on a bored throttle body.

As to the freer flowing exhaust, I am reluctant to go with headers (don't want to get that far into exhaust modification) but might you have any suggestions on where to start with freer flowing i.e., the muffler or other aspects of the exhaust system?

Again, thank you for the excellent advice!

Don
Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by d30gaijin
96_xj,

Thank you ever so much for the power improvement tips. While I am new to Jeep Cherokee's and new to the forum, and my Cherokee is stock, I am a gear head and have been for 40 plus years so your advice is truly appreciated. I am familiar with MSD ignition (Have an MSD box and distributor on my Porsche 914 that I put a Buick V6 engine in) so will go that route for the Jeep. I am not familiar with the Neon injectors but will do a Google on them.

Thank you for the link to strokedjeep.com. That is very helpful and looks like a heck of a good deal on a bored throttle body.

As to the freer flowing exhaust, I am reluctant to go with headers (don't want to get that far into exhaust modification) but might you have any suggestions on where to start with freer flowing i.e., the muffler or other aspects of the exhaust system?

Again, thank you for the excellent advice!

Don

Don,

Glad to hear I could help! on the exhaust aspect start with a cat back exhaust system that is 2.5". As you know the engine is a big air pump(air in, air out), as well as an equal lateral triangle(air, fuel, spark). The more air you can pump thru the system as freely as possible the better. Headers are not worth the upgrade unless the stock header is cracked IMHO. Do a search on here about the neon injectors.

Brian
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Honorary Moderator

Alright, a jog in my memory here so bare with me. There are injector upgrades for the 00/01 cherokees but it is not the neon injectors ending in 703. I will do some more research for you. But the principle behind the injector swap is to switch from the Ev1(single hole outlet) the the Ev6(4hole outlet) design for better atomization and a cleaner burn
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 96_xj
Don,

Glad to hear I could help! on the exhaust aspect start with a cat back exhaust system that is 2.5". As you know the engine is a big air pump(air in, air out), as well as an equal lateral triangle(air, fuel, spark). The more air you can pump thru the system as freely as possible the better. Headers are not worth the upgrade unless the stock header is cracked IMHO. Do a search on here about the neon injectors.

Brian
Brian,

Again, thank you for your excellent advice. Here in Boise we are fortunate to have a great exhaust shop (Boise Muffler). They build a lot of street race car and custom car exhaust systems, not to mention built the exhaust system for my Buick V6 Porsche 914 conversion, and did a beautiful job of it, so I have confidence that when I take the Cherokee to them and say, "2.5 inch from the cat back" they will do it correctly and suggest the best free flow 2.5" muffler to compliment the system.

I will do a search here on the Neon Injectors.

Great advice and I truly thank you for it.

Don
Old 09-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

Welcome, from Maryland. Love the Red on XJ's. Mine looked like that about 5 years ago.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by RkyMtnH
Welcome, from Maryland. Love the Red on XJ's. Mine looked like that about 5 years ago.
If your avatar is any indication of what your Cherokee looks like now, I see what you mean. But good job on it!

Don
Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from the UK.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991