looking to get an xj

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default looking to get an xj

well hello i just joined this site because i am looking to get an xj for well just a toy and back up if my work truck breaks down( company truck so will be fixed within a week worse case senerio) and i have always love the look of the xj's so that being said i am trying to get some pointers on what to look for other that the rust high miles and beat to hell. but other things that you wouldn't think of that can be cruical. well that being said i guess a little info about me. i live in middle tn i have two boys( another reason i want to get a xj) and work constuction installing ems control systems.
i have been into the import scene for a couple years now but before that i had a f150 4x4 with 33s,ho5.0, and cut fenders. then i got a bronco 2 that i put 31s on, and then i got an explorer that i put basic boltons, 33x10.5, 2 inch body lift and rihno lined the floor in. and needless to say i miss the mud lol so this brings me to looking for an xj as i said before i love the looks and i would like to take my boys out on the weekend to play in the mud( keep in mind when they are in the rig there will be no dumb lets see if she can do it stuff going on just nice flat muddy but not deep fun) i am over protective i think lol well that sums it up and maybe we'll cross paths someday
Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 PM

oh yeah anyone have advide about the manual trannys in a xj??? i think that is what i am going to look for when i buy one also. or are they junk???
Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

welcome and good luck on whatever you buy

the main things i would look at would be the rust,any oil leaks,and the stering check all the balljoints snd tierods ,and the track bar for looseness
other than that have fun with your kids in the mud, my 2 yr old loves bouncing around in the xj
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by REWSTER
welcome and good luck on whatever you buy

the main things i would look at would be the rust,any oil leaks,and the stering check all the balljoints snd tierods ,and the track bar for looseness
other than that have fun with your kids in the mud, my 2 yr old loves bouncing around in the xj
yeah mine are 3 and 4 soon to be 5 i think they will love it

is it true that the strait six is pretty bullet proof??? and what is the life expectancy of the xj 200k or more or less i know it will also depend on the life it lived but on average what is it around
Old 11-25-2008, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

they say its bullet proof and i hope so i just bought mine with 130000 miles on it. their is a thread on here with every body's miles on it if you search back a couple pages on the off topic and it seems that they get up there in miles
Old 11-25-2008, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)

Welcome to CF. Like you said I think it all depends on how the motor was maintained. Nothing will last long without proper maintanience. People would be suprised how much longer a motor will last with just regular oil changes.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by REWSTER
they say its bullet proof and i hope so i just bought mine with 130000 miles on it. their is a thread on here with every body's miles on it if you search back a couple pages on the off topic and it seems that they get up there in miles
cool i will look it up here in a minute. i have been looking at different setups on them and i really like the 5 inch lift with cut fenders and 33 or 35s i think they look good. but will the stock gears turn those pretty good??? i know a 456 will help and locker will be a must in the future well i guess what i am looking for is what are the limits of the drivetrain in stock condition except lift of course but the gears and power
Old 11-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get it
Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

They say that 31's are about the limit of stock drivetrain, unless you live in the flatter areas. I know guys who have put on 32's and 33's. I am about to put on 32's and I will probably end up gearing to 4.10's in the near future. They are pretty amazing as is, even without a lift, but 3" will do wonders. I am at about 4.5 right now and am ready to go put this to the test. As far as the engines go, with regular oil changes they can go far beyond 200k. If you can, look for a jeep that is stock (no lift) and looks as if it has never been offroad. This will probably get you a good jeep. My sons (all 3) love my jeep. My 2 year old looks for jeeps as we drive and yells out, "Oh yeah, offroad heeicle". It is pretty cool to introduce the young ones to offroading! Welcome from OK!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 PM

Year: 1989 YJ
Engine: 6cyl, 4.2

welcome to CF from Northeast Ohio
Old 12-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CF from COS!!