Just bought a new 93 jeep cherokee country!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Default Just bought a new 93 jeep cherokee country!

Hey everyone, this is my first post on here. I bought my very first jeep just about a week ago. I love it, but it has a few problems and I'm not really a car guy so I thought I should join and maybe I could get some help on somethings! The problems so far are as follows.

- battery keeps dying, my dad seems to think something might be draining it. Because the girl I bought it from had some speaker system hooked up and they may have messed up the wiring somehow. But hopefully I just need a new battery. Any ideas where I can get a cheap one?

- emergency brake is not working, have no idea what's wrong with it.

- my blinkers don't blink!! They turn on but don't blink. Maybe needs new bulbs?

- oil leak, probably not a big deal for now

I only bought it for 1000 so I was expecting to fix it up a little. The body and interior are in pretty good shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 07-03-2011, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum! I have the same year and trim package as you and I payed 900 for mine. I'm not really any help on those problems but there are people on here that are. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by DedrabbiT
Hey everyone, this is my first post on here. I bought my very first jeep just about a week ago. I love it, but it has a few problems and I'm not really a car guy so I thought I should join and maybe I could get some help on somethings! The problems so far are as follows.

- battery keeps dying, my dad seems to think something might be draining it. Because the girl I bought it from had some speaker system hooked up and they may have messed up the wiring somehow. But hopefully I just need a new battery. Any ideas where I can get a cheap one?

- emergency brake is not working, have no idea what's wrong with it.

- my blinkers don't blink!! They turn on but don't blink. Maybe needs new bulbs?

- oil leak, probably not a big deal for now

I only bought it for 1000 so I was expecting to fix it up a little. The body and interior are in pretty good shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

For the battery, best thing would be to either test it yourself (if you can) or bring it in and you could know if it's the battery that can't hold a charge or the alternator not doing it's job. Your dad's suggestion sounds like it could be that too.

For the emergency brake, what does it do? When you pull on the emergency brake handle, does it click? Could be the wire that snapped or something.

You are right for the blinkers, when it stays on, it means one or more of the bulbs are burnt.

For the oil leak, I would check it out just to make sure that it's not or won't be a big issue.

Hope this helps and welcome aboard!!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks man. Any help helps. Haha. Yeah figuring out the battery issue is the hardest but we checked the fuse box and we disconnected this wire that was connected to the battery and it's held it's charge so far... So maybe we fixed it. Ha. Cause before it was draining pretty fast.

The emergency brake like when I pull it up it clicks but it's easy to pull up. So idk.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:22 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by DedrabbiT
Thanks man. Any help helps. Haha. Yeah figuring out the battery issue is the hardest but we checked the fuse box and we disconnected this wire that was connected to the battery and it's held it's charge so far... So maybe we fixed it. Ha. Cause before it was draining pretty fast.

The emergency brake like when I pull it up it clicks but it's easy to pull up. So idk.

If it's easy to go up, then you might need to adjust the wire....If I'm not mistaken, you have to do it by the rear brakes on the driver's side.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0